Author Topic: Cambridge CD - Potential between audio path GND and Eath causing excess heating  (Read 689 times)

Offline boumboautoTopic starter

• Contributor
Hello,

On a CD drive, after about 30min the audio start to deteriorate and converts from "music" to "noise". This happens whatever the CD is inserted, and it seems to be a "thermal" issue because if we let it cool for an hour, it outputs music again.

When looking inside the CD player, I found a resistor on the audio path that it way too warm and this seems strange to me.

On the schematic above, the GND symbol to the right is connected to the carcass and also to the power supply mains earth. This is thus the 0 potential reference.
The fact that I measure -7.8VDC at the output stage of the preamplifier feels strange.

When looking at the schematic, I had some clues and measured the voltage between the "Audio GND" and the "Carcass GND" and measured -7.8 VDC. This bias is applied to the resistance and thus generates about 1.2W which is way too much for it and make it warm/hot.

I wonder if this is "wanted" and the manufacturer was a lit shy on the resistant power capacity, or this bias is not part of the design and comes from the preamp.

From this schematic, there is a possibility to get a potential of 8V from the power supply of the preamps, but though the 2 resistors of 15k that should not be enough to drive a watt on the burned resistor. C35 may be shorted but sound is available on both channels, so the amp U4 is working.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 12:36:30 pm by boumboauto »

Offline CaptDon

• Super Contributor
Is it possible the .1uf capacitor from the +8vdc rail is shorted?
Collector and repairer of vintage and not so vintage electronic gadgets and test equipment. What's the difference between a pizza and a musician? A pizza can feed a family of four!! Classically trained guitarist. Sound engineer.

Offline boumboautoTopic starter

• Contributor
Ok the issue has been found, the metalic shield arround the audio circuits was touching a +8V rail. Thus refering the +8V to the Earth of the mains and causing havoc on the output resistor.

Offline YurkshireLad

• Frequent Contributor
"Precision"

:-//

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor

When looking at the schematic, I had some clues and measured the voltage between the "Audio GND" and the "Carcass GND" and measured -7.8 VDC. This bias is applied to the resistance and thus generates about 1.2W which is way too much for it and make it warm/hot.
I think you meant “chassis ground”. A carcass is something… rather different! ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf