Author Topic: Korad KA3305p I messed up  (Read 563 times)

Offline escapekitTopic starter

• Contributor
Korad KA3305p I messed up
« on: September 20, 2023, 03:01:14 pm »
Hi guys,
I am an electronics hobbyist and I do some custom electronics for theatre or escape rooms as a side gig when the oportunity presents itself.
I've been using my Korad KA3305p I bought in 2018 following advice on this forum and I am very happy with it.
Link to KA3305p: https://shorturl.at/ceru2
Sadly I messed it up.
I had the "great" idea of placing over the workbench only the front panel, and moving the rest of the unit under the bench.
This way I could save precious bench realstate. To do it I just had to make the internal wires longer. Easy enough I thought.
Most of them are regular wires, as long as I use the same or bigger wire gauge it should be fine.
One of them is a 34 pin ribbon cable though. I don't have any one of those long enough to replace, since I didn't want to order one and wait, I grabed a very long old one I had lying aroud that has 25 pins and frankestained it into the 34pin connectors. (you can see one end of it  in the img).

Long story short, I messed up the position of the connectors and connected one of the ends in the reverse order. Luckily I pluged the PS with the cover off (I had a bad feeling for the janky wire) and immediately saw a small fire in the main display PCB and disconnected it in half a second.
After reversing the connector and plugging it in again, the PS seems to work just fine.

In the picture attached you can see the PCB with the burnt component (Q15). I do not see anything else that is obviously damaged, just the sot23 mosfet that was lit on fire for a second.

Following the traces it seems like the drain is connected to one of the relays on the board. I assume those relays's function is to use both channels in parallel/series, wich I don't do often, maybe once a year if ever.

Questions I would be VERY thankful if you can answer:
 1 - Am I right in assuming the sot23 part is an N-channel mosfet driving one of the relays?
 2 - Will it be ok if I replace this burnt mosfet for a new one like this: https://shorturl.at/cvL78 and "Bob is your uncle"as Dave would say?

Anything else I may have missed?

Thnaks a lot and sorry for the long text and bad english.

Offline Swake

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Korad KA3305p I messed up
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2023, 06:01:14 pm »
The other relays are likely driven with the same method.
compare and read marking from the other one.
When it fits stop using the hammer

Offline escapekitTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: Korad KA3305p I messed up
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2023, 10:42:05 am »
Thenks for your response!
The marking of all the transistors in this area say 1AM, I even managed to read the A and half an M on the burnt one.
A google search led me to this ref: MMBT3904
Apparently is a BJT bipolar transistor. (NPN)
I guess I could use the aforementioned mosfet but Maybe I'll add the specific part on my next order to ewither mouser or digikey and make sure it stays as it should be.
Thanks!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf