Author Topic: Hammond 11224m Organ Nichicon capacitors  (Read 4128 times)

Offline martyTopic starter

• Contributor
Hammond 11224m Organ Nichicon capacitors
« on: April 26, 2016, 03:33:05 pm »
I kind of don't understand how these capacitors work and I need to get them replaced. Called up Nichicon here in the states and they we're less then helpful other than to say they were custom manufactured for Hammond and to contact Hammond. Well Hammond went out of business and parts of it was sold ect..

These are Nichicon 4000uf 50 wV  51 week of 1976.  I need to get all 4 replaced since there is a 60Hz hum in the speakers. While I am at it I am replacing a lot more of the ITW and other Nichicon's and this Organ has so many capacitors it isn't even funny.

however I have no clue how these things work since they have like multiple connections.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 03:35:24 pm by marty »

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
Re: Hammond 11224m Organ Nichicon capacitors
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 03:50:46 pm »
Do you have a service manual for the unit? The connections are usually described in sufficient detail to discern the arrangement.
The capacitor is either a single electrolytic with multiple redundant terminals (used for greater ruggedness and current capability), or a multiple package with a number of electrolytics inside the same sleeve. The latter normally are marked with the capacitance and voltage of each of their parts. They can be replaced with individual separate capacitors since the coupling isn't that close

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 04:07:03 pm »
Do you have a service manual for the unit? The connections are usually described in sufficient detail to discern the arrangement.
The capacitor is either a single electrolytic with multiple redundant terminals (used for greater ruggedness and current capability), or a multiple package with a number of electrolytics inside the same sleeve. The latter normally are marked with the capacitance and voltage of each of their parts. They can be replaced with individual separate capacitors since the coupling isn't that close

Sure don't wish I did make life easier. searched and searched the net for it. Called up Hammond and they said to get a hold of another company in Illinois. They're wanting like 100.00 for the service manual.

I may take one apart and have a look inside, but rather not spend an extra $100 if I can avoid it.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 04:21:40 pm »
Take one out. For me it seems that all outer terminals are connected together (-) and to the shell. Center terminal should be +.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 04:43:49 pm »
Only replace the 4000uF ones, which should get most of the hum out. Replace with 4700uF 63V ones, and most of the hum will be gone. The rest is likely still usable in the first place.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 04:57:57 pm »
I took one apart, yep the outside terminals are the case and the inner is the other side.

The most confusing part is the inner has a Minus sign next to the interior plug so confusing.

I think the inside is cathode since it's on the ground rail and the case is the anode.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 05:00:17 pm by marty »

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 05:02:20 pm »
Only replace the 4000uF ones, which should get most of the hum out. Replace with 4700uF 63V ones, and most of the hum will be gone. The rest is likely still usable in the first place.

Can that be done? I thought only the voltage can be greater rather than the capacitance.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 05:05:19 pm »
The most confusing part is the inner has a Minus sign next to the interior plug so confusing.
Please measure the actual voltage. Old electronics may have common positive. Also this circuit may have dual supply too (+V, GND, -V).
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 05:08:31 pm by wraper »

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 05:32:40 pm »
Take one out. For me it seems that all outer terminals are connected together (-) and to the shell. Center terminal should be +.

i have an idea to figure it out.. Time to make one go boom. non vented 4000uf cap.. it's going to make a huge mess but F it.

Offline Anks

• Frequent Contributor
    • www.krisanks.wordpress.com
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 05:41:13 pm »
Measure the voltages before taking them out I would suspect these are the +- rails for the main amplifier

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 05:49:22 pm »
Would the Capacitor EAR be the middle pin since the cap itself is labeled EAR NEGATIVE

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 06:05:29 pm »
Yes, but be aware that the other might be marked Ear Positive, so do not get the wires mixed up, otherwise you will have a lot of confetti suddenly loudly appear.

The following users thanked this post: marty

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 06:16:40 pm »
Yes, but be aware that the other might be marked Ear Positive, so do not get the wires mixed up, otherwise you will have a lot of confetti suddenly loudly appear.

I have been searching the net for Capacitor EAR but not finding anything. any idea where I might learn about it?

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 12:54:14 pm »
You will not get them as the terminology these days is Capacitor, can mount, terminal lug positive or negative. Those capacitors are basically obsolete, the replacement will be one of 3 types, a radial lead capacitor with leads coming out the one end rubber bung, or an axial one with a single lead ( always the positive) coming out the bung on one side with the other lead attached to the case, or finally a radial capacitor with a clip to mount it and screw lugs or terminals on the rubber at one end and marked on the side which lead is positive according to the black mark on the one rivet or the shape of the crimp of the lead or the plus on the one section of rubber.

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2016, 02:58:11 pm »
Snap-in style capacitors are still manufactured, including styles with more than 2 lugs. (Search in Mouser or Digikey Passives>Capacitors>Aluminum>Snap-in). But the particular arrangement you have may be custom or obsolete.

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 03:29:09 pm »
I've ordered everything already..

Thanks for all the input.

I could have probably answered my own question by just taking the damn capacitor apart to begin with.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf