Author Topic: Siemens Oscilloscope/Waveform Processor  (Read 1340 times)

Offline JKKDevTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Siemens Oscilloscope/Waveform Processor
« on: December 07, 2018, 11:07:38 am »
Hey there :) First timer here on the blog so please be kind :scared:

I've just acquired 2 pieces of electronics history. One being the HP 1715A 2-channel 200 MHz Oscilloscope and another is a Siemens 7KD1044-8AB 4-channel 100MHz Oscilloscope/Waveform Processor(?). Both of them have seen better days and both are DOA (as per ebay listing). I have no doubt that the HP scope will be repairable with its component level service manual however the Siemens one is a doozy.

I cannot find even a trace of its existence on the internet. There is an acknowledgement of its existence on a website of a partner of Siemens (http://www.automation-berlin.com/en/siemens-7KD1044-8AB.html) however that is it. I was wondering if maybe I can find a person here that could point me to at least a user manual if nothing else.

On a non related note... I was thinking of taking a few photos while I tackle with the repairs of both instruments. If there is any interest in this topic please let me know and I'll gladly put together a blog style post of the repairs.

Thanks for staying with me this far and have a nice day :)

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
Re: Siemens Oscilloscope/Waveform Processor
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 11:09:53 am »
Yes, there're always enough people here interested in repair blogs / stories, of course including teardown pictures
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline dzseki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 11:43:55 am »
I have a HP 1720A scope here which is the bigger brother of the 1715A, but they are identical in most aspects, so if nothing else maybe I can help a little with that at least.
HP 1720A scope with HP 1120A probe, EMG 12563 pulse generator, EMG 1257 function generator, EMG 1172B signal generator, MEV TR-1660C bench multimeter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 11:54:08 am »
I have a HP 1720A scope here which is the bigger brother of the 1715A, but they are identical in most aspects, so if nothing else maybe I can help a little with that at least.

If you've got a service manual it might come in handy as some of the images in mine are poorly copied and hard to read. Do you know what the main differences are between the two? Thanks  :-+

Offline dzseki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 12:11:10 pm »

If you've got a service manual it might come in handy as some of the images in mine are poorly copied and hard to read. Do you know what the main differences are between the two? Thanks  :-+

Yes, the 1715A manual is pretty bad, you can easily find manual for the 1722A (275MHz, digital readout) or 1725 (275MHz, 8x10 screen, time interval) both manuals have merits, though they are very similar.
If you fail to find these, you can PM me your e-mail so I can send them to you.

To my understanding the only difference is around the input hybrid IC, not sure if the IC itself is different, but the application is for sure, there are less legs used in the 1715A, the vertical output (and everything else) is the same however.
HP 1720A scope with HP 1120A probe, EMG 12563 pulse generator, EMG 1257 function generator, EMG 1172B signal generator, MEV TR-1660C bench multimeter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 01:49:09 pm »
Thanks to CJay we successfully identified the scope not as a Siemens but as a Gould more accuratelly one from the family of Gould DSO 4074 or similar. It appears the name banner from the top of the front pannel was removed/never existed as there is no glue or other residue / shadows present there.

Now my question to the people in the know is why would a Gould scope be in a box whose only identifier is SIEMENS, West Germany, Made in England and a product ID that has zero connections to the actual scope. The "Made in England" part might be a hint but I don't know the history/connections between the two so if someone could explain this I'd be really happy.

EDIT: After a quick recheck of the stated specifications under the SIEMENS ID the more accurate model is looking to be Gould DSO 4084 (4-channel 800MS/s dual channel, 400MS/s quad channel). I'm getting happier with the purchase by the minute  :-+
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 02:08:49 pm by JKKDev »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf