Author Topic: Help! How to repair the toning string of a portable radio?  (Read 3148 times)

Offline ali6x944Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Help! How to repair the toning string of a portable radio?
« on: July 26, 2016, 02:45:25 pm »
Hi everyone,
I was trying to fix this old Nawia WR-A70 multi band radio receiver that I found in my grandfather's old stuff pile...
It is functioning just fine but the string is loss and the pointer is broken, I already fixed the pointer with two component epoxy, the only thing left is to wind the string again, but I don't know how...
So please help!
Note:
I detached the specker and the antenna to make the radio simpler to access.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5vW-k7HbsL4WmR4b1FfQVpFRTQ

Offline BMack

• Regular Contributor
Re: Help! How to repair the toning string of a portable radio?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 03:22:28 pm »
It looks like it goes around the brass lug and the black lug on the lower left. It should wrap around the larger black hub once, the spring is to tension. 

BTW, if there's no spring, they will generally have an arm that a hub sits on, you'd bend the arm to get the tension right.

The following users thanked this post: ali6x944

Offline pinyoro

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 04:02:29 pm »
Brought back memories of radios in the 70's and 80's [emoji5]

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 04:32:06 pm »
It looks like it goes around the brass lug and the black lug on the lower left. It should wrap around the larger black hub once, the spring is to tension. 

BTW, if there's no spring, they will generally have an arm that a hub sits on, you'd bend the arm to get the tension right.
I didn't quite get it...
Should the string rotate around the large hub completely then go to the brass lug?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 08:10:31 am »
I think I got it right ... :phew:
Thanks for all help

Offline BMack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 04:56:27 am »
Looks good, congrats! That is one of the biggest pains in the butt on receivers. I warn anyone that has a tuning issue coming into the shop that if that string is broken it will add $40-75 to the repair cost, luckily it's really rare.

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 05:40:22 am »
Cord drive tuning systems back in the old days could have extremely complex threading.   e.g.  the direction and number of turns round a shaft or pulley and whether the turns were wound upwards or downwards tended to be critical.  If you got it wrong, the drive would tend to slip or jam, commonly towards one limit or the other of its range.  It could also judder due to the incorrect lead angle causing one turn to pile on top of another then slip off again as it starts to jam.

The first rule of successful rethreading is:  If you don't have a clear threading diagram from the service manual,  preserve *ALL* evidence of how it was originally threaded before doing *ANYTHING*  else to the receiver.  e.g. photo whatever remains of the original cord, closeup and from several angles.  Count turns remaining on all shafts or pulleys, noting direction and for multiple turns, which side is on top.   Look for marks in dust, wear patterns, cord wear etc. that may help resolve ambiguities.  Also examine the tensioner mechanism very carefully to see is there is any evidence of its original position, and measure the exact length of the cord to the break either side and the position of anything fixed to the cord (e.g. pointers) so you can check the length of the new cord to be certain you haven't got too many or too few turns around any shaft or pulley.   
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 04:47:09 am by Ian.M »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 05:47:07 pm »
Sorry....
The old radio was working fine until my younger 1½ year old brother played with it and broke it by turning it hard causing the string to break, and the black hub to crack,so it died again, the string is now known to fix, but the hub is a different story so how to fix that:

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 09:20:55 pm »
Show us a closeup photo of the crack!

The odds of a successful repair depend on what the drive drum is made of and the precise location of the crack.  ABS plastic can be glued with the right solvent glue but Nylon generally cannot.   Mechanical reinforcement is essential - e.g. wrapping thread round the cracked hub annd saturating it in glue. 

Offline BMack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 06:49:52 am »
I think you can get by with gorilla glue, but you have to be careful.

Offline FlyingHacker

• Frequent Contributor
  • You're Doing it Wrong
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2016, 04:19:46 am »
Gorilla Glue expands quite a bit as it cures... Just something to be aware of.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 09:19:51 am »
hi again,
it have been a long while, but nevertheless I got another WR-A70 radio to be fixed with the same tuner string problem and a couple more...
the toner string in this one however is badly rotted so I throw it out, in the process of removing it a brass lug fell, unlike the old radio we fixed this one has two holes for the brass lug...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf