Electronics > Repair

Help finding replacement MOV

(1/2) > >>

bhorobec:
A while ago, we had a bit of a power surge which caused the ice maker in our fridge to die. I've traced it back to the controller board in the ice maker which has a blown mov as well as the trace from the hot line to the primary side of the transformer/mov. I believe the transformer is fine, because I can read ~50 ohms across the primary, which leads me to believe that the mov and damaged track on the board are the only damaged parts. Could anyone help he find a suitable replacement mov for this board? I know very little about these, and don't want to accidentally put in the wrong part.

Some info on the blown mov:
SVR
14D 271KU
SEC C
And there is a silkscreen label beside it that says 650N/651N

I've tried searching for these, but can't really find anything, and don't really know much about these devices anyway.

I'll also attach some photos of the board.

Also, I live in Canada, the mains here is 120V.

Thanks in advance.

bhorobec:
Would either of these be suitable replacements?

http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/MOV-14D271K/MOV-14D271K-ND/2799115
http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/ERZ-V14D271/P7220-ND/137383

After some research, I found that 14D refers to the diameter, and the 271 specifies a 270V breakdown voltage. Not sure about the "KU".
I'm just not sure if there is any other spec that is important in selecting a replacement.

wagon:

--- Quote from: bhorobec on August 08, 2014, 11:45:17 pm ---Would either of these be suitable replacements?

http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/MOV-14D271K/MOV-14D271K-ND/2799115
http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/ERZ-V14D271/P7220-ND/137383

After some research, I found that 14D refers to the diameter, and the 271 specifies a 270V breakdown voltage. Not sure about the "KU".
I'm just not sure if there is any other spec that is important in selecting a replacement.

--- End quote ---
I'd use those as replacements, no troubles.  As long as it has the same voltage rating and is at least the same diameter/thickness, it will do the job.

lowimpedance:
One other point to note would be the track was most likely sized to be a fuse in the event that the MOV went short and so would not catch fire. Perhaps a suitable piece of fuse wire to fix (replace!) the track would be a good idea.

bhorobec:

--- Quote from: wagon on August 09, 2014, 10:16:52 am ---I'd use those as replacements, no troubles.  As long as it has the same voltage rating and is at least the same diameter/thickness, it will do the job.

--- End quote ---

Thanks. I've went ahead and ordered the Panasonic one.


--- Quote from: lowimpedance on August 09, 2014, 10:39:35 am ---One other point to note would be the track was most likely sized to be a fuse in the event that the MOV went short and so would not catch fire. Perhaps a suitable piece of fuse wire to fix (replace!) the track would be a good idea.

--- End quote ---

I figured that thin track had to be a sort of fuse. I initially thought of using a piece of 30 AWG wire wrapping wire to fix it, but I think I'll use the wire from a 3A glass fuse instead (should be close enough to the original current limit of the 30 mil track).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version