Author Topic: Help identifying connectors on a Mazak CNC lathe  (Read 2874 times)

Offline LightBlueTopic starter

• Supporter
Help identifying connectors on a Mazak CNC lathe
« on: October 31, 2018, 08:36:10 pm »
Hello all,

A friend of mine runs a machine shop near where I work.  He's had trouble with a sensor on his Mazak CNC lathe so I started helping him out.  One problem is that the sensor plugs in to a PCB but the connector has been reused several times (pigs tails, bits soldered on etc) and it's clearly reached the end of its life.

I contacted Mazak to ask what the connectors were but they didn't know/wouldn't say.  My question is, can anyone identify the connector in the picture?  I forgot to measure the connector pitch, I'll do that next time I'm at his shop.  I hope it's an off-the-shelf part so I can buy some.

Cheers,
James
Light Blue Electronics Limited

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
Re: Help identifying connectors on a Mazak CNC lathe
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 10:35:44 am »
could you take a closer photo ?   seems like molex connector, but they have recangle pins and a latch
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 08:44:09 pm by coromonadalix »

Offline PaulAm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 02:57:47 pm »
Sometimes you can find a part number molded in, although you might need a magnifier to see it.

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 07:38:07 pm »
I've taken some more pictures in case this helps anyone to identify the connector.  The pitch is ~6mm.  I couldn't see any part numbers molded into the plastic.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 01:46:24 am »
HAs PaulAnn said  have you used magnifing glass, it seems to have some writings on the tab lever in the photos ??

Offline royarms

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 09:10:03 pm »
I've taken some more pictures in case this helps anyone to identify the connector.  The pitch is ~6mm.  I couldn't see any part numbers molded into the plastic.
I spent some time looking for these, from my research it appears they use mitsubishi cnc control systems. Most have specification manuals that list all connectors, but your pictures aren't enough to identify which system you have and what those connectors connect to.

Look here and see if any look familiar https://us.mitsubishielectric.com/fa/en/products/controllers/computerized-numerical-controllers-cncs/cnc

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 08:42:34 am »
Thanks for taking the time to look.  I looked at the Mitsubishi Electric website but I couldn't identify the connector.  The machine is fairly old.  I'll find out more about the controller it uses.  I had assumed that Mazok made everything (their name is on the PCB); I didn't consider that they might sub-contract the control system.

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 08:59:39 am »
It is a Mazak SQT250MS with a fusion 640T control on it. The board in question is D65ARU00 but this is marked Mazak rather than Mitsubishi.

Offline PaulAm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 01:50:03 pm »
Did you try Mazak?  It would take some effort, but somebody in Tech might recognize it, or at least give you a vendor.

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 01:57:30 pm »
Yes, I said in the first post that I'd contacted Mazak but they didn't know/wouldn't say what they were.

I don't have any contacts in Mazak to ask unofficially.

Offline royarms

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 04:22:38 pm »
If you do a search on ebay for mazak control board, you will see quite a few of them are listed as mitsubishi mfg. There are several other boards with the same connectors/family.

But i don't know enough about cnc systems to figure out which system these boards come from.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline iengleson

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2019, 05:10:17 pm »
I believe these are JST ZL connectors. Digi-key carries them but you have to buy them in bulk $$$.

manufacturer's info sheet:
http://www.jst-mfg.com/product/pdf/eng/eZL.pdf

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf