Author Topic: Help indentifying a SMD T1 component  (Read 672 times)

Offline JudderTopic starter

Help indentifying a SMD T1 component
« on: December 17, 2019, 03:14:34 pm »
Hi everyone

First post from me so I hope you are all well!

I'm trying to replace what I think is a transistor on a Japanese manufactured car engine boost controller (it's like a mini-computer) and wondered if anyone can help me with the identification of _what_ the original component is I need to replace.

On the PCB it is labelled 'T1' (top right corner of the photo) and has 5 inputs and 5 outputs so I'm guessing it's a transformer, but I can't seem to find any reference to the markings '386 Yf' so a little in the dark with what it is

From the shape it's 99.9% a coil on top of a PCB so inductor or transformer, and not a radial capacitor as there are more than two input / outputs

Any thoughts much appreciated!

Kindest regards

Alex

Offline TheMG

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Help indentifying a SMD T1 component
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 07:24:48 pm »
That's definitely a transformer. Probably a custom part, as a lot of such transformers tend to be, wound specifically for the required primary and secondary voltages required in that specific application.

Are you sure it's bad? Open or shorted windings?

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 12:38:31 pm »
That's definitely a transformer. Probably a custom part, as a lot of such transformers tend to be, wound specifically for the required primary and secondary voltages required in that specific application.

Are you sure it's bad? Open or shorted windings?

Great - many thanks for the reply and yes good to know that I'm not a million miles away with my guess work!

It's definitely bad as when I went to see why the board wasn't working, the top coil part literally fell off the bottom silicon part - almost as if it got so hot over time and just cracked, thus separating the connector wires from the PCB part to the coil part

I have another board with the same part on - is there any easy way to check the outputs - I'm guessing I could meter them or check the various resistances to try and calculate what the outputs would / could be from those?

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 06:21:54 pm »
Here's a couple of extra images - I'm guessing from the 'Warning 75V' that one of the outputs of the transformer generates 75V and you can see on the PCB where it melted itself in - luckily PCB tracks seem fine

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf