Author Topic: Help, killed my LVDS to eDP converter board in my Lenovo T430  (Read 4178 times)

Offline iamdarkyoshiTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Help, killed my LVDS to eDP converter board in my Lenovo T430
« on: December 23, 2018, 08:33:49 pm »
So I bought one of those overpriced 1080p IPS upgrade kits for my Lenovo T430, came from aliexpress... It worked great, until my friend wanted to know if the board would work in his HP elitebook, which shares the same issue of having a shitty stock 40 pin LVDS screen.

I figured I could just plug in the HP's screen cable into the board, since it had the same connector that the T430's screen cable had

After trying it in the HP (which did not work) it did not work in my T430 either. Backlight but no picture.

I'd just try replacing the ICs on the board, but the bastards ground the numbers off...

\

Nothing on the other side of the board except LTE-2KT COOEROI 8/2018, presumably a model, manufacturer, and date

This board is like over 60$ on aliexpress, and I do not want to wait for another one to come in, nor spend another 60$ on one.

Does anyone know what these damn chips could possibly be, or why they died when connected to the HP? Would they need some special programming before being used? Is there any alternative to this board? The board came with its own cables for the input and output, so I'd imagine I'd need one with those pinouts.

I'm willing to make my own or repair this one if I can get some knowledge on it works. I can't imagine converting an LVDS signal to eDP is that hard, the main chip likely handles it all, but I have no idea what the chip is >:( I'm sure the remaining chips are voltage regulators and some sort of memory chip for storing configs

Any help is appreciated! My main laptop is down until I get this repaired

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
Re: Help, killed my LVDS to eDP converter board in my Lenovo T430
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 03:41:00 pm »
In the end you may have to spend the 60$  :(
I dont think youll find the right part number, if you do,  with ordering the parts,  desolder them and put them back .....

try to wet the top ic's if you see some numbers ???

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 04:58:51 pm »
RTD2136R?

That one's an eDP to LVDS, not the other way around...

If we can find a chip, I can check the pinout with the board, the layout is very easy to trace.

In the end you may have to spend the 60$  :(
I dont think youll find the right part number, if you do,  with ordering the parts,  desolder them and put them back .....

try to wet the top ic's if you see some numbers ???

Sadly nothing came up from the wet finger trick. And desoldering this part would be easy, its not even BGA.

Offline ThomasDK

• Regular Contributor
  • B.Eng. EE
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 06:40:49 pm »
Maybe IT6251

The package matches...

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2018, 05:22:31 am »
Maybe IT6251

The package matches...
Sadly it looks like its a different package, 64 pins as opposed to the 56 pin one I have.

Maybe its time to decap the chip and get some die shots

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 03:28:51 pm »
NCS8801 might be what are you looking for.

bingo, NewCoSemi NCS8801 with broken/non existent documentation made by a small fabless chinese company
https://bbs.thinkpad.com/thread-1148516-1-1.html

$1 locally, $10 shipped in singles https://www.yoycart.com/Product/562629163608/
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline Armadillo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2018, 04:01:17 pm »
NCS8801 Doc too large, so see schematics;

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 04:13:12 am »
UPDATE: Got my ICs in, the package appears to be absolutely identical, down to the location and size of the pin 1 marker dot that wasn't scrubbed off the original. However, no luck replacing it. Another one of the ICs on the board released the magic smoke upon powering up. Thankfully it didn't fry my motherboard like the converter board originally did.

I'm going to have to call it quits here to be honest. There's just too much damaged on this board to keep chasing down mystery parts.

I am tempted to try making my OWN converter board someday, since the T430 isn't the only laptop that suffers from rubbish screens, and I have a few spare chips now, since I bought several.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Offline knapik

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 11:33:57 am »
UPDATE: Got my ICs in, the package appears to be absolutely identical, down to the location and size of the pin 1 marker dot that wasn't scrubbed off the original. However, no luck replacing it. Another one of the ICs on the board released the magic smoke upon powering up. Thankfully it didn't fry my motherboard like the converter board originally did.

I'm going to have to call it quits here to be honest. There's just too much damaged on this board to keep chasing down mystery parts.

I am tempted to try making my OWN converter board someday, since the T430 isn't the only laptop that suffers from rubbish screens, and I have a few spare chips now, since I bought several.

Thanks for the help everyone!

I may be in the market for one myself in the not so distant future. I wouldn't mind helping out to recreate an open source version of the board.

Offline TheNewLab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 01:42:31 pm »
Whoa!
did you convert a T430 screen by simply changing the video chip?
Same laptop screen??
from HD to FHD??

I'm so clueless... :palm:
However, I would like to know more about that board for a T420,which the Lenovo link includes in the discussion
That's incredible!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf