Author Topic: Help replacing cap on GTX 1070 Armor graphics card  (Read 908 times)

Offline ZaphodBeeble

Help replacing cap on GTX 1070 Armor graphics card
« on: January 17, 2018, 08:22:12 pm »
Hi people,

First post and new member, thanks for having me!

I've been given a graphics card to (attempt to) repair by a friend of mine. He somehow managed to hit off and lose a capacitor from the top of his graphics card. It's a surface mount jobby and it's the exact one in this picture.

Apparently the card would show up as a VGA Card in Device Manager but when you try to load a driver (Windows 10 64 bit) it fails after 'Installing driver...' for a while with an unknown problem.  The card works in VGA mode as an extended monitor but won't work as primary.

I'm hoping further damage hasn't been caused due to running the card with that capacitor missing.

I'm a reasonable solderer so I have no problem soldering a replacement on there. I just need some advice on what exact one to buy and where from. There is an RS Components near me and I'm not too far from a Maplin if either of those are any good.

I look forwards to your help and advice!

Cheers,

Z

Offline Armadillo

• Super Contributor
Re: Help replacing cap on GTX 1070 Armor graphics card
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 09:08:57 pm »
Hi;

I thought the picture is quite clear 270uF 16V smd electrolytic capacitor.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6pcs-270uf-16v-Sanyo-SMD-Aluminum-Electrolytic-Capacitors-8x12mm/130852333646?hash=item1e7768284e:g:0CYAAMXQKQhRHwdK

Never try, never know, let's hope you defeat the board with your soldering,yeah!.

Cheers;

Offline ZaphodBeeble

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 09:18:50 pm »
OK thanks Armadillo. I wasn't certain of the values. Do I have to worry about tolerances or anything like that or would the one you linked me to do the job regardless?

Offline Armadillo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 09:26:08 pm »
Hi you can trust the Sanyo Cap, work up to 105degC and tolerance is 20%.
You should make sure the diameter is 8mm can fit the pads on the board.

You should try to buy 1 or 2 pcs from your local shops instead of ebay.

Offline ZaphodBeeble

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 09:36:14 pm »
I just measured the pads and other caps on the board. They are 8mm so I'll go ahead and order some from a local supplier. Thanks for the help!

Z

Offline Bashstreet

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 11:30:46 am »
Yes best to get one from somewhere else than EBAY if you can avoid it and it is economically sensible.
EBay sadly is full of all sorts of fakes and you never know what you get
That said sometimes it just is not economical to buy few components from other sources.
RS components with free next day delivery for basically any amount of order...  what is fantastic value... I highly recommend them.

Should be quite easy fix for you and as armadillo said best get few of them so if you fail first time you have spare(s)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 11:33:30 am by Bashstreet »

Offline Bashstreet

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 11:40:55 am »
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/aluminium-capacitors/7887611/

This should do you . 2 is minimum order and will cost you 2 pounds or so with free next day delivery.

Let Armadillo check if part is suitable it should be but he can give another opinion.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 11:49:40 am »
Hi;

I thought the picture is quite clear 270uF 16V smd electrolytic capacitor.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6pcs-270uf-16v-Sanyo-SMD-Aluminum-Electrolytic-Capacitors-8x12mm/130852333646?hash=item1e7768284e:g:0CYAAMXQKQhRHwdK

Never try, never know, let's hope you defeat the board with your soldering,yeah!.

Cheers;
It's not usual electrolytic, and cap on the ebay link is incorrectly described as well, although it's a proper replacement. It's a polymer capacitor. BTW, there are no Sanyo brand capacitors made for around 8 years as Sanyo was acquired by Panasonic but electrolytic business spun off as a separate company. It's either Panasonic in case of polymer caps (OS-CON), or Suncon in case of usual electrolytics. So if you buy caps on ebay with Sanyo name on them, most likely those are counterfeits. Those on the pic in ebay listing might be Panasonic, as poymer caps don't carry brand name on them.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 12:01:19 pm by wraper »

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 11:51:50 am »

This should do you . 2 is minimum order and will cost you 2 pounds or so with free next day delivery.

Let Armadillo check if part is suitable it should be but he can give another opinion.
This will do.

Offline Bashstreet

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 12:22:28 pm »

This will do.

Yes thought so but i was not certain if certain characteristics would be required ....  :-+

Offline Armadillo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 01:10:51 pm »
The picture showed lettering EAW18.
Unless you decipher it as solid polymer which normally should begins with Lettering P, example PCJ as used by nichicon, otherwise it would be your personal preference.

But it should work.

BTW, the "polymer" is also a type of Aluminium Electrolytic Capacitor.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 01:17:35 pm by Armadillo »

Offline Bashstreet

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 02:02:35 pm »
The picture showed lettering EAW18.
Unless you decipher it as solid polymer which normally should begins with Lettering P, example PCJ as used by nichicon, otherwise it would be your personal preference.

But it should work.

BTW, the "polymer" is also a type of Aluminium Electrolytic Capacitor.

Panasonic caps are very high quality.  I personally prefer Nichicon but Panasonic are absolutely top notch and were the ones available in RS

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 02:12:28 pm »
this cap sits in front of Vram power controller, kinda surprising it would cause card not to initialize properly
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline Bashstreet

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 02:18:16 pm »
this cap sits in front of Vram power controller, kinda surprising it would cause card not to initialize properly

I have not seen schematic nor do i suspect one will be available but a missing cap can cause many problems...  Any case replacing the cap cannot increase the issues  :-+
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 02:19:58 pm by Bashstreet »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf