Author Topic: help with HP 41800 probe  (Read 1086 times)

Offline WB8PFZTopic starter

• Contributor
help with HP 41800 probe
« on: March 28, 2020, 03:23:16 pm »
I received my Ebay probe yesterday. It works and is in nice condition except for the tip. By my measurements it is 1/8 inch short of making contact with the adapters. There was a small piece of broken plastic on the front tip that I removed. Can someone explain what I am missing? If I take the plastic sleeves off the adapters it will make contact. Chances are HP no longer has parts for these? Thanks Mike

Offline JKKDev

• Regular Contributor
Re: help with HP 41800 probe
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 08:56:45 am »
Check page 6-2 of this document.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 02:27:06 pm »
I still can't see what is going on. I do not want to destroy this trying to get it apart. I am not sure if HP has parts to fix it or not. I would like to see one, touch one to see what is missing. Thanks Mike

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 02:38:40 pm »
Do you have parts 8 and 9 in that diagram? If not then you will probably have to fabricate something.

I've successfully 3D printed things like part 8 in SLA before; they are very cheap from DirtyPCBs, but can be slow in arriving. An altenative material is Shapeways sintered nylon (whatever they call it this month). It may be necessary to be careful that a homebrew sleeve doesn't increase the tip capacitcance.

As for the parts 9, you may have to turn those yourself, or perhaps a piece of piano wire could be coopted. Don't attempt to cut piano wire with ordinary diagonal cutters.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 04:57:40 pm »
I think 8 is broke and I do not have 9. It looks like 8 screws onto 7? Would that be correct? Mike

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 06:17:19 pm »
I think 8 is broke and I do not have 9. It looks like 8 screws onto 7? Would that be correct? Mike

No idea. You have one to look at, I don't.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 06:27:25 pm »
Well since mine is broke it is hard to tell how things screw together.  :-//

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2021, 05:49:57 pm »
Found a working probe on Ebay. The first one has a broken tip. Does anyone repair these?

Offline Xtremexp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2021, 05:19:53 am »
Hi All,

I also bought 41800A probe from ebay, the tip was broken but luckily the broken piece was with unit and I glued it together. the probe looks brand new but it did not worked.
So I start debugging and found that the power supplies of -7 and +9V is not correct on probe, I am reading -7V and +3V, has anybody faced same issue and fixed it? it would be really helpful. I did not find any schematic either.

Regard,

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf