Author Topic: Hoover stopped working - supply problem  (Read 271 times)

Offline kbmTopic starter

Hoover stopped working - supply problem
« on: May 07, 2024, 06:26:30 pm »
Hoover was working and suddenly switched off. I changed the socket but didn't help. I dismantled the hoover and all circuits are connected. Nothing is burnt. Motor is not burnt off either. How to find where the problem is?

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
Re: Hoover stopped working - supply problem
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2024, 07:33:56 pm »
Maybe engine is brushed and brushes are worn out.
Or induction type and capacitor is worn out.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Triplett-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Hoover stopped working - supply problem
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2024, 08:19:48 pm »
They normally fail because the cable reel gets poor contact, the actual cord itself breaks internally, or the motor brushes wear out. Multimeter to see continuity on both cores of the cable to the switch, continuity through the switch, and if the resistance across the motor is needed. Cable will be under 2 ohms generally, the same for the switch, and for the motor generally anything under 30ohms means it is fine. But most common is brushes sticking, which means no operation, and you either get new brushes, around 3 pounds, or a new motor, or a new vacuum cleaner.

Very rare for the speed controller to wear, but it is possible the speed control is intermittent, and does not contact at some point on the track. If so then you will need ot fix speed control, though most of the time you run at full power anyway.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2024, 08:22:01 pm by SeanB »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf