Author Topic: How do I test this AC adapter?  (Read 1010 times)

Offline ajmcgrawTopic starter

How do I test this AC adapter?
« on: June 18, 2021, 05:06:35 pm »
I have a printer that won't power on, and I'm trying to test the power supply (picture below) before I buy a new one.

From ground to the left pin, I get 32.3V on my multimeter, but what is the pin labeled with a crescent moon? My guess is it's some kind of standby power out, but how would I know what it should be? (did lots of searching with no luck) It measures at 0.593V.

Also, is there any way to test the 12V option?

Thanks.

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
Re: How do I test this AC adapter?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 06:00:56 pm »
could it be the moon connection  is telling the power supply sleep mode has been selected so only give out 12v

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 06:09:09 pm »
I think that's likely. The power supply is rated for two different voltages on a single output, there must be a way of telling it what voltage to put out. My guess is it's something simple, you could try grounding the sleep pin and see if the 32V output changes to 12V. If grounding it doesn't work then my next guess would be pull it up to 3.3V.

I would expect though that if it's putting out 32V right now the power supply is probably ok. You might test it under load though and see if it sags. Best way is probably to open up the printer and plug it in, then measure the voltage at the printer.

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2021, 07:35:54 pm »
Thanks to you both! That is indeed what it is. Grounding the sleep pin gave me a output voltage near 12V, but it is not stable.

On the MM it was oscillating between 11.23 and 12.45 volts. I hooked it up to a scope, and it looks like a straight DC line that gradually drops from 12.45V down to 11.23V. After the trace drifts down to 11.23V, there is a very sudden and visible ramp up that almost immediately takes it back up to 12.45 and then the trace drifts back down to 11.23 again before the next ramp up. This pattern continues indefinitely.

Safe to say the supply is bad?

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 07:58:34 pm »
 Safe to say its good.  That's exactly the behavior you'd expect of a standby supply that cycle skips when its minimally loaded.

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2021, 08:09:03 pm »
Safe to say its good.  That's exactly the behavior you'd expect of a standby supply that cycle skips when its minimally loaded.

Thanks. Wishful thinking on my part, then. I was hoping I could just swap out the power supply and celebrate an easy fix.  :-\

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2021, 09:15:14 pm »
Open up the printer and check the voltage with the power supply connected, it's still possible it's a relatively easy fix. I fixed a "dead" scanner someone gave me once, turned out the power LED and the USB cable had both failed. The scanner was turning on, it just didn't look like it was.

Offline tunk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2021, 09:39:25 pm »
Or the on/off switch has died.

Offline aqibi2000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2021, 12:31:53 pm »
If you want to remove some of the fluctuating then measure the voltage with some load
Tinkerer’

Offline howardc64

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2023, 01:54:38 am »
Have a similar HP printer (OfficeJet 5740) PSU (image attached) Same 3 pin PSU interface but not same model # as OP. Printer doesn't boot all the way. Display either blue screen with a code or vertical lines. Here are the PSU measurements

PSU standalone testing

32v/12v line = 32.8v DC stable no AC component
crecent moon = 2.74v DC stable no AC component

Jumper crecent moon to ground with 1k/4.7k/10k resistors all change 32v/12v line to 12v but continuously drop 1v every 1-2s and I stop testing after 6v (continues to drop but I just stop testing)

PSU plugged into printer. Presumably this is with load

32v/12v line = 32.8v DC stable no AC component
crecent moon = 2.74v DC stable no AC component

Never triggers to 12v. Presumably printer never boots far enough to then eventually go to sleep mode.

Probably the PSU should be good enough for the printer to boot completely? Thus my fault is likely internal to the printer.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf