Author Topic: How to remove an insect inside my monitor between the backlight and display  (Read 71783 times)

Offline KjeltTopic starter

• Super Contributor
I have a sort of same problem as this person:

in my case it was a tiny insect (hardware bug  :) ), smaller than an ant that crawled between the backlight and the display.
Then one day it decided to die right in the middle of my screen   :palm:
So to properly bury this "pet"insect, is there anyone with experience how to get this fixed ?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 10:10:36 am by Kjelt »

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
For a laptop display you may be lucky and find that opening the screen bezel separates a plastic protector and the actual LCD, if your less lucky it will probably be the top polarizer buried under a metal captive arrangement, try popping the bezel first as i find it hard to imagine an ant in between the polarisers,

Offline orbiter

• Frequent Contributor
  • -0 Resistance is Futile
Part the display slightly if you can an use an air duster to blow it out of view. Otherwise teardown.

Offline JFJ

• Regular Contributor
You might try standing the laptop monitor on one of its side edges (like an open book stood vertically), and then gently tapping the opposite edge of the LCD panel.

The problem maybe infectious:
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 01:30:12 pm by JFJ »

• Super Contributor
The problem maybe infectious:
:-DD
Well I tapped ofcourse, even used pressurized air but I guess reading the above tips I have to open it up and also remove the metal fixture aside of the panels, but I have no idea how to do this.
First things first, get the bezel off

Online wraper

• Supporter
I had the same problem with my 30" monitor which (still) costs EUR 1100 retail and is about 1.5 year old but out of warranty as it is warranty replacement of older model. When I moved to the different apartment, during the shipping a piece of dirt somehow got in the visible area of the screen. Disassembling LCD is not so easy and can cause a light bleed or another visible issues, prismatic films shouldn't be touched with fingers too or will be damaged. What worked out was tapping on the screen with all 5 fingers at the same time in a very certain way that creates the air flow behind the screen. Most of the another kind of tapping or trying to vertically hit (not hard) the screen against the desk with rubber ESD mat didn't have any effect at all. When I found the tapping right technique, then in a few minutes that piece of dirt traveled through half of the screen and finally got out of the visible area :).

• Super Contributor
OK! So I will re-try that first, learning how to tap the right way  :-+

Online wraper

• Supporter
BTW I tapped not directly onto the piece of dirt, but about 5-10 cm from it so it get blown away in the opposite direction.

• Super Contributor
Well tried to tap as long as possible, the bug did not move even a 0,1mm  :(
So this is a hardware forum so take it apart!
On youtube there was this video how to remove the bezel by just using your fingers and it worked beautifully.
At the end corener where the buttons are use extreme care not to damage the vulnerable flatcable and after 4 tres petite (very small) screws were removed the bezel was off and also the plastick back  :-+
So power on determine where the bug was and put compressed air on the side....... nothing.
Step 2 removed the iron bezel of the display  :scared: but it came off easy  :phew:
Hold it in place powered it up again compressed air and I could see the top displaypanel wave as in the wind , oh oh.
Still bug did not move  >:(
Now last attempt I lifted a small side of the panel with a screwdriver and again applied pressurized air..... bug did not move.

I guess the bugjuice dried up and glued it to the display, I am not an expert and don't dare to lift up the entire top panel, too scared something will damage permanently.
So I guess I will have to live with this pet  :( unless someone else has a clever idea. 

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
Years ago I had a 50 inch 16:9 1080i rear projection TV. One day I was watching TV and saw the shadow of a spider on the screen. It seems he had decided to live in the TV. He eventually died in there but not before adding some webbing and pooping on the screen so I could see little dots in my picture. I had to disassemble the entire thing, clean out the webs, remove the various screen layers and then wipe them off.
VE7FM

• Super Contributor
I had to disassemble the entire thing, clean out the webs, remove the various screen layers and then wipe them off.
Can you do that without damaging the optics etc? Is there a video or tutorial how this should be done ?

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
1 dont have cats, took me three tries to put lcd together without fur inside
2 do it in a dust free room, my main monitor still has one particle of dust in lower left corner, actually very near my cursor as I type this :) :(
3 lesson from above is you need  backlight running while doing this, its the only way to make sure you cleaned everything off
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline bobaruni

• Regular Contributor
kJelt, I had the same problem with my Dell U2412M except I made it worse by pressing the bug while it was walking around so the bug was now dead and permanently stuck between the LCD panel and the back light filter.
I'm working from memory here as it was a few months ago but this is how I fixed mine.
I basically stripped it down the way you did, being extra careful with the bezel and I also unscrewed the screws holding the switch PCB (It's a PITA to but it back as it has to be aligned well).
I took the iron surround off that holds the glass in.
With the help of another person, they held the monitor upright and tilted the top forward slightly until the LCD glass fell forward on an angle, the side of the glass with the ribbon remained where it was as a pivot point.
The side that needs to be tilted forward is the side that doesn't have the ribbon flex cable (I can't remember if this is the top or the bottom, so you may need to turn it upside down so that the ribbon flex is closest to your table and this becomes the picot point).
Be very careful with this ribbon flex cable as it is delicate as is the glass, it is very very thin.
Once the glass was forward, I could easily see the bug stuck on the back light filter.
There is not much room to get in there, the glass is leaning forward less than 45 degrees and the rest of the panel is perfectly upright, I then used a damp cotton tip to clean the bug off the back light filter.
I then used a dry cotton tip to get rid of the moisture.
I also noticed some dust particles located where I thought there were a couple of dead pixels for a long time.
I cleaned these dust particles off with compressed air in a can.
Do not touch the inside of the LCD glass to avoid finger prints.
Put the glass upright and put the whole LCD panel on it's back.
Align the glass to make sure it's located in the middle of the panel.
Carefully put the iron surround back on and re-assemble the rest of the monitor.
I had to play with the control switch PCB ass'y to get it to fit back on as the cable gets in the way and the screws are tiny.
Once back together, my panel was clean, no dead pixels (Caused by dust) and as a bonus, I could swear the back light bleed was less noticeable and more uniform.

Give it a go but be careful, have someone help you and take your time.

Bob. 

« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 02:15:06 pm by bobaruni »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf