Author Topic: How to replace loud speaker in the Xplora 3S kids Smartphone  (Read 630 times)

Offline Sören_MarodörenTopic starter

• Contributor
The Xplora 3S is a kids Smartphone that enables the parents to give a simple phone to their kid. The device has limited functionality that are more in detail described here: https://xplora.se/product/xplora-3s/

Unfortunately, there are many reports from parents that the loud speaker stops working after some time. This text describes how to replace the loud speaker. The workflow can probably be used for other repairs as well. If it can be used for other Xplora devices is not known but there could be similarities between different products that can be useful.

A new speaker (SM150906) can be purchased from Digi-Key (https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/db-unlimited/SM150906-1/9990585) or from Mouser.

Tools needed: A plastic pry tool, T4 Torx screw driver, Small flat screw driver, Soldering iron with a <1mm tip.
1.   Remove the wrist straps and the SIM card holder.
2.   Use a plastic pry tool (or your thumb nails) in the split line between the back (white) and the front. Start at the corner where the straps connect. This is probably the most difficult part. But hang on. If you can do this part the remaining parts will be easier. (See picture Open_the_device_1.jpg and Open_the_device_2.jpg.)
3.   Use a T4 torx screw driver and unscrew the four screws.
4.   Remove the back from the unit. (Now were in like Flynn…)
5.   Disconnect the four connectors. (See green arrows in Connectors_and_mainboard.JPG) Use a bent tweezer and place the jaws on the opposite sides of each connector and use it like a crow bar to lift/bend out the connectors. (Don’t pull on the flex wires.) Leave the flex wires with connectors standing upwards.
6.   There are two hooks that hold the main board in place. Press these to the side with the flat screw driver. (See yellow arrows in Connectors_and_mainboard.JPG)
7.   Now you can fold the main board up. (See Mainboard_folded_up.jpg)
8.   Use a soldering iron and disconnect the two wires to the vibrator. Note that the red wire goes to the pad marked +. (You can skip this step if you like, but you have to be more careful so the solder joints is not damaged etc when doing the other steps.)
9.   Disconnect the conductive ground strap on the battery and lift out the battery.
10.   Use a small screw driver to remove the inner frame. (See Remove_inner_frame_1.jpg and Remove_inner_frame_2.jpg) It shall now be possible to lift out the inner frame. (See Inner_Frame.jpg)
11.   The load speaker is located at one of the sides of the outer frame. (See Outer_frame_with_speaker.jpg)
The speaker is attached to the outer frame by adhesive foam. Detach the speaker by slowly pry it from the frame. It is probably easier by plowing hot air on it (but not too hot). Try to save as much as possible of this foam on the outer frame, because there is no foam on the new speaker.
12.   The old and new speaker looks like in picture Speakers.jpg.

13.   Insert the new speaker at the same location as the old. Make sure you place it correctly.
14.   Put the inner frame back. The inner frame holds the loud speaker in place. You will hear two clicks when the frame gets in place correctly.
15.   Insert the battery and reattach the conductive ground strap on it.
16.   Use the soldering iron and connect the vibrator to the upper board.
17.   Put the upper board in place. Start with the end close to the speaker and make sure that the pins on it is not bent or damaged. Make sure that the board is correctly in place by looking at the fixing pins that shall mate the holes in the upper board.
18.   Put the four connectors back where they belong. Be careful so they mate correctly. (Don’t use too much force as this might damage the connectors.)
19.   Mount the back with the four screws.

At this stage it is possible to put the SIM card back and start the unit and test that everything works as intended.  If it works it is just to continue the assembly. Otherwise there might be other issues or damages to the device. Check that you have done everything correctly.

20.   Put the device back into the front. Make sure that the camera is in the correct direction and that everything clicks in place.
21.   Attach the straps again.

If the repair has gone as planned you now have a working Xplora 3S kids Smartphone again.

(Xplora 3S trasig högtalare, Xplora 3S inget ljud)

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
Re: How to replace loud speaker in the Xplora 3S kids Smartphone
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 12:19:03 am »
Does the old speaker still have continuity, or is it open? If the former, is the volume just too low, or some other form of damage occurred?

Phone speakers very rarely fail, in my experience.

Offline Sören_MarodörenTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: How to replace loud speaker in the Xplora 3S kids Smartphone
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 07:15:24 am »
Nope. The speaker was dead.
I tried to measure the resistance before I removed it. The resistance was varying between 6-7 ohm and infinity depending on how I pressed onto the contact springs. But after measuring this a couple of times the connection was lost.
After I replaced the speaker I tried gently open the broken one. Then I could see that the copper wire was off between the coil and the contact spring. It was a very sharp "cut" in the wire close to one of the contact springs.
The distance from the moving coil to the point on the contact spring where it is weld is very short. Maybe <1mm. So there is not much play left for the wire to move in. Probably a bad design or a production trimming issue.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf