and after removing the main PCB to clean it off after replacing everything, I noticed it was super stressed by the screws and made a nasty sound when I loosened it (I did the repairs in chassis using solder extractor and carefulness). (I did test it before the removal, it was fine, just very dirty)
When I replaced it, it stopped working. same problem as the other one. I cut out the cable harnesses to make sure their fine (upon giving up) and they are fine.
This one was very cheap but I give up on this series, I still don't like how its built, you still can't just remove the boards
the hell with it

I like the harrison HP voltage sources (I have like 10, they all survived all sorts of maitence abuse), the current source can suck a egg. this peice of shit is giving me anxiety, and I know whats going to happen when I trust it on a expensive laser diode like I was planning on.
the cracking noise is similar to what I heard when I desoldered a VFD on a sony stereo. It had like massive PCB strain. I see the board was either warped or just poorly drilled (that is, the assembler loosely put the studs and shit together, then tightened them all up, because during reassembly I noticed one of the studs was at least 3mm off, because I tightened them to the backer plate before adding the PCB), so more then likely the board was 'stretched' for a good 40 years and then I let it go and something happened. I am not investigating what happened because I am sick of this model series and I don't want to look at the schematics again o probe it