Author Topic: Wavetek 182A 4 MHz function generator  (Read 1593 times)

Offline GregDunnTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Wavetek 182A 4 MHz function generator
« on: November 18, 2018, 08:11:36 pm »
I thought it might be a good idea to create separate threads for my recent acquisitions rather than clutter up the TEA thread.

Yesterday at a hamfest I found a nice Wavetek 182A for $10.  The only external issue was that someone had carved an ID into the front panel.   :(  For the price, it seemed to be worth picking up.

I did a quick check inside and saw nothing broken or burned, though the main filter caps had apparently been replaced.  Powered it up, and it did provide a signal, though the range and waveform switches seemed to randomly provide outputs which had no correlation to the values selected.  Clearly a problem with switch contacts.  I didn't want to disassemble all the switches at this point, so I shot some Deoxit into the little gaps in the switch casings and exercised them for a few minutes.  I made sure there was no excess on the board or components, then powered it up again; it worked much better this time.  Altogether it took about 15 minutes of back and forth until the unit started working consistently.  The wave shapes are off a little bit, which is probably an adjustment issue, but I wanted to be sure the unit was fully working before making any tweaks.  PSU voltages look fine, and there really isn't anything else which shouts "replace me" on the board unless for some reason I can't get the adjustments to respond.  I'm on to fixing another acquisition at the moment, so I'll update this when I have a few minutes to run through the manual's cal procedures and capture the waveforms.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf