Author Topic: HP 8601a substitution for unobtanium IC  (Read 484 times)

Offline neil

• Contributor
HP 8601a substitution for unobtanium IC
« on: August 21, 2019, 03:22:53 pm »
Moving along with the HP8601a sweeper (seized attenuator shaft now resolved), it appears that the IC used as the loop amp in the A3 module is deceased. I tried reseating it several times, but no joy. I gather that these are unobtainium, so am wondering about a modern substitute. This sweeper would be for non-critical hobby use.

The amp (labelled "E1" on the schematic) sits in a PLL loop, between a mixer and a divider chain (which starts with a 2.2uF blocking capacitor). It has a +20v power line and signals in the 0.1 to 110 Mhz range. The input is shown as -20 dBm and output at least 2 dBm.

I wonder if I can substitute a modern chip, perhaps a video amp of some sort on a small daughter board, with appropriate voltage-shifting circuitry as needed? Any suggestions for favorite chips?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 03:26:05 pm by neil »

Offline fzabkar

• Frequent Contributor
IRe: HP 8601a substitution for unobtanium IC
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 10:14:54 pm »
I couldn't find the part (1820-0151) in the cross references:

https://www.sphere.bc.ca/download/hp_xref-free.pdf

However, here is something along the lines that you propose as an alternative solution:

https://f6aoj.ao-journal.com/cariboost_files/hp_20hybrid.pdf

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: HP 8601a substitution for unobtanium IC
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 10:59:39 pm »
1820-0149 is referenced as well. See: https://susumu-oiso.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2017-04-05 for a substitute. Looks like they used a standard MMIC as a replacement. You will need to use google translate.

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 11:20:09 pm »
I too own this sweeper and when obtained used had like half output power but otherwise worked fine. Traced with a scope that A3 was not putting out full gain. I added a Mini-circuits standard MMIC  before the input to the hybrid. I just wired it up dead bug style and it seems to work just fine. It's not a lab quality piece, but extremely useful for sweeping filters. The step attenuator is very nice mechanically and electrically.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 11:27:52 pm by retrolefty »

Offline neil

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 03:08:11 am »
Thanks for all comments.

It certainly looks like a simple mmic amp would be the first thing to try. My first thought was something from Minicircuits, but I don't know if they do small orders. However, Mouser lists a BGA2874 with 31 dB gain over a DC-750 Mhz range, and at the cost of 41 cents in single-unit quantities, it's hard to turn down.

Offline Tony_G

• Frequent Contributor
  • Checkout my old test gear channel (link in sig)
    • TGSoapbox
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 06:33:07 am »
Minicircuits will do small orders. Sometimes they even have dev boards for the part if you want to use one.

TonyG

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf