Author Topic: Agilent E3649A Power Supply  (Read 560 times)

Offline C-47Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Agilent E3649A Power Supply
« on: February 19, 2024, 07:57:02 am »
On inspecting a newly acquired above power supply, the input line capacitors indicate a need to be changed, the 100n X2 Rifa no problem with a replacement, but the 2 smaller 1n0 are Y2 rated, are not easy to find, any problems seen in replacing these with X2 rated items. Thanks for any input, Alan.

Online J-R

• Frequent Contributor

Offline George Edmonds

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Agilent E3649A Power Supply
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2024, 09:16:51 am »
Hi

Legally you must NOT replace Y capacitors with X ones as doing so would introduce a serious Heath and Safety issue,  Y capacitors MUST fail open circuit whereas X ones do not have to do so.

G Edmonds

Offline Swainster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2024, 09:24:49 am »
RIFAs are particularly resistant to surge events so do have at least one redeeming feature :-DD, and they are still available new. If the replacement lasts as long as the original RIFA then I wont complain too much. However, if you are not replacing like for like then you cannot swap a Y2 cap for an X2 (though some caps are rated for both X and Y usage). You can use a Y1 in place of your existing Y2 cap (but not necessarily the other way around).

When I did this job on a e3631A (and some of it's older relatives), I mostly went with RIFAs again, except where the output was also filtered by RIFAs (HP 6623A), which I replaced with a mix of RIFAs and polypropylene.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2024, 12:07:14 pm »
Thanks to all for the input and link, most useful, now the search begins for the correct capacitors, where they don't charge $30 shipping on a $3 item. Thanks

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2024, 01:51:53 am »
Convoluted Travel Route:
Ordered the correct capacitors from Mouser as they had reasonable shipping cost, but the route they took to reach Australia makes one wonder about "going green". Items departed Dallas - Louisville - Dubai - Shenzhen - Singapore - Perth, don't even want to think of the carbon footprint for moving a couple of grams. Plenty of direct flights from the USA to Oz, other than that, service and tracking all good.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf