Author Topic: HP E3630A Output Drops to Zero Intermittently - Fixed  (Read 184 times)

Offline Dave Wise

• Contributor
HP E3630A Output Drops to Zero Intermittently - Fixed
« on: October 18, 2019, 09:26:14 pm »
Something to watch for.  If C27 leaks - even a tiny bit, not visible - it will dissolve the solder mask beneath the cap, allowing electro-migration between two traces that go through there.  One is the -5V reference, and if they short, you will lose all three outputs.  I replaced the reference and a couple other parts before I looked hard at the physical PCB layout, following the -5V traces around.  If all your outputs are low or zero, I think C27 is the first thing to check.  Unsolder it and look at the board underneath.

Hope this helps some other E3630A owner,
Dave Wise

The following users thanked this post: bdivi, alm

Offline Dave Wise

• Contributor
Re: HP E3630A Output Drops to Zero Intermittently - Fixed
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 03:55:34 pm »
I had three false starts before I discovered the leakage.  Since the proximate cause of losing all outputs was the -5V reference line, I replaced the LM336.  No change.  Then I found a 2N2222 whose goal in life is to ground -5V if -12V fails.  Replaced it.  No change.  Then I followed the trace around looking for resistors which could short it if their conformal coating was bad.  Found several suspects, re-soldered with prying to give clearance.  No change.  The last trace segment went under C27 (4700/25, reservoir for +5V display supply) and I noticed the slightest discoloration.  Took off the cap (which was not bulging) and it was a sad mess underneath.  I cleaned with IPA scrub and dried, scratched away the bridge, recoated with nail polish.  Now the instrument is fine and might outlive me.

Dave

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf