Author Topic: HP E4406A OS problem  (Read 688 times)

Offline R-1125FTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
HP E4406A OS problem
« on: May 22, 2023, 03:34:11 pm »
I have an HP E4406A that will not boot properly. The OS is HP-RT.  When it boots it tells me that files and directories cannot be found.   I tried to use the HP E4406A firmware update software through the ethernet port.  The software can communicate with the processor board.  The update software completes and says that the update was successful, but the E4406A screen says it can't erase the memory and create new files (errno = 5).  This uses flash ram and not a hard drive.  I don’t know if this is a software or hardware problem. 

I haven't found a way to communicate directly with the processor through the ethenet port.  I think I need to restore the OS somehow, but I don't know how to do that.  The processor board is similar to the one used in the HP 16702A logic analyzer.  It has ethernet and 488 ports available.  I am totally lost here. 

Could someone give me an idea on how to communicate with the processor without an IP address?

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
Re: HP E4406A OS problem
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2023, 07:58:37 pm »
Through Ethernet port it is a packet protocol of some sort.
So the receiving end must know how to react.

Maybe you're just missing a voltage somewhere.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Triplett-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Offline R-1125FTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: HP E4406A OS problem
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2023, 09:33:50 pm »
Thank you for the reply. 
I have determined the operating system (HP-RT) is just gone.   I have no idea how to replace it.   This is essentially an HP9000 computer.
Anybody know how to replace the OS?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf