Author Topic: HP54602b checksum error  (Read 945 times)

Offline johndczerwinskiTopic starter

HP54602b checksum error
« on: December 12, 2018, 03:27:55 pm »
Hi,
I have an HP54602b (150 Mhz/4-channel oscilloscope) that's now getting checksum errors and having lock issues with NTSC signals (see below and attached). 

Error messages:
"Vertical cal factors failied checksum test - defaults loaded"
"Horizontal cal factors failed checksum test - defaults loaded"

Doing some reading, it looks to be the NVSRAM chip, so I'm thinking of doing the following:
- Buying a new NVSRAM
- program chip with an RAM image I found on the Keysight page
- Open up the HP54602b, after discharging the CRT
- Un-solder old chip
- Solder new chip

Am I missing anything? Do I need to re-calibrate the entire device?

Offline nsd_c

• Contributor
Re: HP54602b checksum error
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 09:03:17 am »
Just curious, where did you find a RAM image on Keysight's website? I don't have any actual vested interest, just curious. I have a 54621D, but this is rather different from the older 54602.

Also, I don't know if you've found this yet or not, but there are full schematics for the 54600 and 54601 in what HP called a "component level information package," available from here. (That link isn't actually working for me at the moment, but an alternative would be these scanned copies of the schematics.)

By the way, I have seen users report success in hacking batteries into the existing NVRAM.

Offline johndczerwinskiTopic starter

Re: HP54602b checksum error
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 04:29:42 pm »
Thanks for the information!

I got it from the Drivers, Software & Firmware portion of the support site a while ago.  Just looked and don't seem to be able to find it again. 

In case anyone else is looking for it, I've attached it.  FYI... It's for the HP54602A and not B

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf