Author Topic: Luxman R-1030 Receiver repair  (Read 323 times)

Offline EifX

• Contributor
Luxman R-1030 Receiver repair
« on: November 28, 2019, 07:51:42 pm »
Hi community,

I hope this is the correct place to post this.
I am in the middle of a repair of a Luxman R-1030 Receiver and I am struggling to find a replacement for the volume control potentio-meter.
It is a combined pot that regulates the volume with the inner axle and with the outer axle it regulates the balance. See the pictures.
Does anyone know where I can find replacements or a genuine one from back in the days. I found one on eBay but the shipping is more expensive the the part. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Luxman-R1030-35-Original-Volume-Control-200K-Tested-Parting-Out-Luxman-R1030-/142858470674

Thanks in advance for the help
 EifX

Online andy3055

• Regular Contributor
Re: Luxman R-1030 Receiver repair
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 09:45:05 pm »
It seems to have a loudness tap also. Can you get a closer shot at the back? And, what is wrong with it?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 09:48:24 pm by andy3055 »

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 10:39:36 pm »
These Japanese parts are rare and usually specific to the receiver. Having a loudness tap and dual action makes it even more rare. Alps parts like this I have not seen for sale.

If the pot is noisy, first try cleaning it with a spray like Caig DeOxIT Fader F5. Ensure the receiver's coupling capacitors (to/from the pot) are not shorted or leaky, which can make the (good) pot act noisy because there is minute DC current flowing through it.

If I am desperate, I take the potentiometer apart. Pry up the 4 tabs, take it apart and clean the oxide off the wiper and dirt off the carbon track, then lube it. It's like doing surgery and easy to break the wafer.
But vintage gear sometimes has no alternative.

Offline EifX

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 06:21:15 am »
I have tried cleaning the pot already but the problem is that the inner axle turns very heavy while the outer axle turn very smooth.
While the outer axle is for the balance and the inner is for the volume. In the schematics there is indeed a part of this pot that works together with the loudness. How do you know that there is a loudness tap?

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 08:28:02 am »
Talking about cleaning the carbon potentiometer section, and the shafts. Which did you clean? Most cleaners are solvents without any lubricant, but some have a light oil.

The inner shaft must have old lube, dried out grease, to turn heavy. The viscosity sets the feel of the volume control, so grease is usually used. You'd have to wash out the old grease with cleaner- or just leave it and add a drop of oil on the shaft. Try not to get oil in the phenolic wafer and make a mess.
DeOxit has some sprays with thicker oils. I just 30W use motor oil. Try one drop.

A loudness tap is the potentiometer's extra terminal on the top. Most pots have three terminals per section, so I can always spot a volume control with loudness taps.

Online cvanc

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 01:48:41 pm »
Looks to be a regular carbon element pot?  If so, alcohol should be a survivable solvent.  And you've already got it out of the unit.

My advice is submerge it in isopropyl for a few minutes undisturbed, then exercise it while still submerged until it's flushed clean.  All kinds of crap will fall out.  Let it air dry overnight at least, then lightly oil the shafts.

I've done this several times and, well, most of the parts lived thru it!  Good luck.

The following users thanked this post: EifX

Offline EifX

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 01:54:01 pm »
AAH, I didn't know that the extra terminal was for the loudness....lesson learned today  :-+

Offline EifX

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 01:55:22 pm »
isopropyl I have heard about that stuff. need to go by the pharmacy then.

Offline mzacharias

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 07:47:39 pm »
Try working some fine lubricant into the center shaft.

Offline EifX

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2019, 06:35:23 pm »
Left it for 4 hours in Isopropanol Alcohol nothing still very hard to turn. When i turn the balance the volume also moves with it.
Tried cleaning it with KONTAKT 61 see attachment.
Feels like it move a little bit better. I'm afraid I have to open the sucker up. |O
I'll try to find the lubricant as a last resort. Hope i can get it here in The Netherlands  ::)

Thanks for the help guys...keep you posted.

Offline EifX

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2019, 07:06:31 pm »
I found the Tri-Flow here in The Netherlands. Hope it works.
Gonna wait for delivery before I open the sucker up and clean it up..

Online andy3055

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2019, 10:59:59 pm »
If it is that hard to turn, you may have to pull it apart and clean first. You will need only a small drop of Tri-Flow and ypu can basically spread it on the shaft and wipe off any excess.

Good luck.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf