Author Topic: Tek TDS3000B front panel encoders - are these custom made?  (Read 2229 times)

Offline JwallingTopic starter

• Supporter
  • This is work?
To finish up a repair on a TDS3012B I need to replace one of the rotary encoders that has a broken shaft. But nobody seems to carry the part. These encoders mount to the PCB which was designed especially for this part. They are mounted to the PCB, then the legs are melted over on the other side of the PCB. They are manufactured by Bourns and are not on their website. Does anyone know where or if these are sold anywhere? See attached pictures.

Thanks!
Jay

System error. Strike any user to continue.

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
Re: Tek TDS3000B front panel encoders - are these custom made?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 11:43:44 am »
I'm pretty sure they're bespoke.

A few years ago I replaced the front panel on a TDS3034B on which one of the encoders had simply worn out. The entire PCB assembly was available as a spare part, and not all that expensive either IIRC.

The following users thanked this post: Jwalling

Offline JwallingTopic starter

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 03:37:56 pm »
I'm pretty sure they're bespoke.

A few years ago I replaced the front panel on a TDS3034B on which one of the encoders had simply worn out. The entire PCB assembly was available as a spare part, and not all that expensive either IIRC.

I kind of thought so, but thanks for the confirmation. At this point I'm on a tight budget as I just got laid off last week after 31 years as a Sr. repair technician. For now I moved the broken encoder to the waveform intensity control; who needs that anyway  :)  Besides, I cut a little slice in the shaft so I can use a small flat bladed screwdriver if needed.  8)

Thanks for that!

Jay
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 04:01:21 pm by Jwalling »
Jay

System error. Strike any user to continue.

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 03:58:35 pm »
I confess, I didn't look all that hard to see if the encoder itself was available, because in my case the PCB pad underneath was the part which had worn through. The encoder itself was OK, just not the board it was attached to.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf