Author Topic: Ice Maker Pump Repair  (Read 685 times)

Offline electricMNTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Ice Maker Pump Repair
« on: April 27, 2020, 11:23:55 pm »
Anybody know what manufacturer makes this driver chip? It's marked with "477H" & "8YBG". It's used to drive a 12VDC pump motor used in a counter top ice maker. The motor has four coils. The junction of two of the coils is tied to GND, another junction is tied to one of the outputs, another junction is tied to the other output and the last junction isn't tied to anything.

979804-0  979808-1
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 11:26:25 pm by electricMN »

Offline Manul

• Super Contributor
Re: Ice Maker Pump Repair
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 12:01:01 am »
Not sure about manufacturer of original one, but it is hall effect sensor for example AH477AZ4 from Diodes Inc.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 04:10:09 am »
Not sure about manufacturer of original one, but it is hall effect sensor for example AH477AZ4 from Diodes Inc.

Thank you very much.  :-+

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 05:47:26 am »
Many 12V computer fans are of a similar design,  one weird-skinny-looking chip that controls the coils and uses hall sensing.  The ones in fans are probably lower wattage/current than what you will find in a water pump, however.

Hope you find a working replacement  :-+

The following users thanked this post: electricMN

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 06:23:48 am »
You can find rackmount server fans that are quite powerful. I have some that I pulled from a scrapped Dell 2U server that draw something like 2.5A.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 03:41:04 pm »
Many 12V computer fans are of a similar design,  one weird-skinny-looking chip that controls the coils and uses hall sensing.  The ones in fans are probably lower wattage/current than what you will find in a water pump, however.

Hope you find a working replacement  :-+

I haven't found an exact replacement but I've ordered a couple to try. I can get a new pump for $15 but it's not in stock anywhere so I have to wait until it is. In the mean time I thought I'd take a stab at repairing the pump. I don't even know if the driver chip is the problem but they're cheap so it's worth trying.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 04:28:33 pm »
There isn't much else to go wrong, if the shaft spins freely and the coils don't smell burned then it's probably just the IC.

The following users thanked this post: electricMN

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf