Author Topic: Identify Missing Part - Nintendo Switch  (Read 1468 times)

Offline Jay573Topic starter

• Contributor
Identify Missing Part - Nintendo Switch
« on: April 20, 2021, 10:37:12 am »
Hi,

New here even though I did try to join a little while ago and the servers were down.

Anyway I was sent a Nintendo Switch mainboard which needed a new connector put on it which I have replaced. The person who took the connector off knocked a resistor or something off the board. I can replace it but I have no idea what the part actually is.

I have attached the best picture I could, does anyone know exactly what the part is so I can order one?

Thank you for any help

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Identify Missing Part - Nintendo Switch
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 11:39:04 am »
The only other image of this board that Google could find was rather fuzzy but, it does suggest that's a resistor missing - two identical black blobs!

If it's just a pull-down, it may be equal in ohms to the adjacent resistor. Find out what the IC is and, to which pin the empty pad goes to. The ICs datasheet may state what value that should be.

Unless anyone else can correct me, the size is suggestive of a tiny 0402 SMD part. You can find these SMDs in small quantities from many ebay sellers.

Good luck.

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 12:09:24 pm »
The IC is a dual schmitt buffer.  The inputs are on pins 1 and 3, the outputs on 4 and 6.  The missing resistor is almost certainly a pull-down on input pin 3, and will have the same value as the pin 1 pull-down resistor right next to it.

The following users thanked this post: Syntax Error

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 12:21:07 pm »
Thank you for the replies, this is a bit new to me, soldering I am ok with but have just started electronic repair.

What is the best way to measure the value of the resistor next to the missing one? Is it just a case of reading the ohms on that resister? Sorry for the basic question. My multimeter is an automatic range one.

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 01:36:00 pm »
Meter on R (ohms). One probe anywhere on ground (big square pad bottom left) and the other probe on pin 1 of the IC. Read off the value.

Just another point, if the IC package is a SOT363 (thanks @mikerj) with 0.65mm pin pitch, then the resistor might be a diminutive 0201 package! That's 0.6x0.3 mm. A soldering skill challenge indeed. Measure the size if you can.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 01:48:10 pm by Syntax Error »

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 02:19:23 pm »
Many thanks, and will do, I can tell you the part is absolutely tiny! Technical I know :)

I was thinking best thing might be solder paste and hot air.

Thanks again for the help, really appreciated to all

Offline MathWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 05:01:20 pm »
OP do u have tweezers or something to hold down the resistor? I'd be afirad hotair would blow it away.

You can always scrape back the solder mask on the skinny trace, and use a through-hole resistor

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2021, 01:20:39 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I have very fine tweezers. I am actually learning mobile phone repair and have a microscope and all that so quite well set up for very small parts but even at that size its still going to be a challenge, well for me anyway.

I have low melt solder, so going to apply the solder, place the component, and hold it down with tweezers while using hot air. Hopefully that will sort it!

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 04:33:15 pm »
Could I ask for some help to find out what I need to order please.

I measured the resistor to the right of the missing one. Unless my multimeter is wrong it read :

100 k ohms at the top of the resistor
20 ohms at the bottom of the resistor

Does that make sense?

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2021, 07:39:45 am »
The IC is a dual schmitt buffer.  The inputs are on pins 1 and 3, the outputs on 4 and 6.  The missing resistor is almost certainly a pull-down on input pin 3, and will have the same value as the pin 1 pull-down resistor right next to it.

Is Pin 1 the upper part of the resister which is reading 100k?

I am struggling to find pull down resistors and must admit I am bit out of my depth in terms of what part I need. I can solder the part but finding it seems to be a challenge.

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2021, 09:15:16 am »
100K sounds right.

I've spotted packs of 0402 sized 100Ks on ebay for about £2. You might need to scratch off some solder resist on the ground side to get the 0402 to stick.

Otherwise, try RS Components.

• Contributor

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2021, 04:04:33 pm »
Yes.

Coincidentally, I have purchased a range of parts from that UK seller and they are good to deal with.

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2021, 05:54:08 pm »
Cheers mate, appreciated

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2021, 12:08:20 pm »
Anyone know what the next size down is ? I ordered those resisters and they are bigger than the ones on the board :/ Is it 0201?

Ignore the board, it was just for size checking

Offline dc101

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2021, 06:06:39 pm »
https://newmatik.com/knowledge-base/KB-EN-00928/resistor-case-sizes

I'm guessing the prior comments were referring to 0402 metric. If you bought an 0402 resistor and the other resistors on your board are smaller, then you most likely purchased 0402 imperial size resistors, or possibly were just given the wrong size all together.

The most certain way would be to measure it with a dial caliper or micrometer if you have either available.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 06:16:29 pm by dc101 »

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2021, 06:48:05 pm »
I have just checked the ebay listing and the size is metric so looks like I will be needing the smaller size.

Which seems to be difficult to find on places like ebay, only want a small amount

Offline dc101

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2021, 07:38:42 pm »
There is an 03015 and a 0201 metric that is smaller than the 0402

Online fzabkar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2021, 12:55:20 am »
The way that I measure these sizes is by viewing the circuit in an image editor and counting the number of pixels from end to end.

I determine the pixels per millimetre value by counting the pixels for a known dimension, such as the width and length of the neighbouring IC. According to its datasheet, its size is 2.00mm x 1.25mm.

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/408/TC7PZ17FU_datasheet_en_20171205-1273065.pdf

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf