Author Topic: Identifying an smd part  (Read 945 times)

Offline simon.jowettTopic starter

Identifying an smd part
« on: July 04, 2019, 03:21:18 am »
Hi I'm hoping someone can help me with identifying an SMD part.  (see attached image)

The part is SOT89 sized and has the markings WH on one line then DKL on the 2nd line.

I've searched and the only similar parts I can assign a reasonable level of confidence is a DK part which is a NPN transistor.  I can see that this transistor sometimes has a sub code to denote the Hfe characteristics.  However I can't seem to find any with DKL or "L" characteristics.  The closest part was a 2SC4672-P - am I nearly correct ?!!!

Any advice would be much appreciated!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 03:23:51 am by simon.jowett »

Offline denimdragon

• Regular Contributor
  • "Hole charge chaser and wanna-be o-scope fixer"
Re: Identifying an smd part
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 03:37:54 am »
Can you take a pic with the surrounding circuitry? Maybe 1"x1"?

Also check this link out if you aren't already familiar with it...

http://www.s-manuals.com/smd
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 03:43:23 am by denimdragon »
"Hi there. I'm short in the hair department, do you mind if I pull a few strands from your head? Thanks!"

The following users thanked this post: simon.jowett

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 03:59:53 am »
The circuit is in a grid inverter.  The areas is right at the input and it's proabably taken a surge on the mains connection (complete guess).

The inverter is completely dead so I'm thinking this part of the circuit is the mains sensing and/or the control enabling function.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 04:06:00 am by simon.jowett »

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 04:32:37 am »
That's a tough one. Not on of my SMD books comes close enough. Your best bet is to remove it and trace the pinouts CBE. Verify that they could be an NPN, then try a best guess. Check the pinout against his mate next door as well, or even swap it to the dead location. Hopefully, someone may recognize it, otherwise it'll need a circuit trace.
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

The following users thanked this post: simon.jowett

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 04:37:39 am »
Thanks for looking - i'm drawing a blank too.  I think I'll remove the good one and see if I can get some info by testing it.

Offline fzabkar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 05:07:28 am »
Those two parts (WH/DKL and the blown part) are directly driven from the same output of the TL074I quad op-amp. ICBW, but the only time I recall seeing an op-amp driving a transistor directly is when it is configured as the pass transistor in a feedback loop. Otherwise there is usually a series resistor in the base or gate. Even more unusual is that the op-amp is driving both "transistors", which rules out the idea of a pass transistor.

Offline denimdragon

• Regular Contributor
  • "Hole charge chaser and wanna-be o-scope fixer"
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 05:25:16 am »
Those two parts (WH/DKL and the blown part) are directly driven from the same output of the TL074I quad op-amp. ICBW, but the only time I recall seeing an op-amp driving a transistor directly is when it is configured as the pass transistor in a feedback loop. Otherwise there is usually a series resistor in the base or gate. Even more unusual is that the op-amp is driving both "transistors", which rules out the idea of a pass transistor.

I was thinking PT as well but the jfet op-amp killed that...
"Hi there. I'm short in the hair department, do you mind if I pull a few strands from your head? Thanks!"

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 06:47:48 am »
Quote from: fzabkar
Yep, same conclusions.
Option2: Remove the TL074 and the transistors? , take a photo, trace the tracks and work out how the heck it is wired. Then we may get a better picture.
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2019, 05:09:41 am »
I'm away for a few days - will remove parts and try figure out a small schematic next week.

The following users thanked this post: fzabkar

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf