Author Topic: Identifying LED driver for replacement  (Read 497 times)

Offline ShakyTopic starter

Identifying LED driver for replacement
« on: March 18, 2024, 12:37:39 pm »
Hi. I wonder if someone could assist with suggesting a replacement driver for one of my Screwfix brand LAP LED battens please ?
I've looked online, typing the PCB No's into Google but haven't been able to find a manufacturer unfortunately. I've stripped the one of the other batten's down and there appears to be a total of 320 smd LED's inside (I'm guessing 3528's judging by their size) which are grouped in 8 parallel units of 40 LED's each.
I checked the voltage across the strip terminals of the working unit and I got 120v thereabouts if that helps ?
It just seems daft to me that there doesn't seem to be an option from LAP to replace the driver, just throw the old unit into landfill !
I have seen some drivers for sale that quote 50W and round-about the same voltage for around £10-£15 but I don't want to commit to buying until I'm certain it'll be OK, so any assistance would be gratefully received - thanks. I've attached a couple of pics.

Re: Identifying LED driver for replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2024, 07:41:20 pm »
Do I take it from the lack of any reply that a new Batten is the only way re: this ?  :(

Offline BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2024, 07:58:10 pm »
Match wattage and make sure operating voltage is in range, avoid no name import stuff for safety and reliability, make sure you get the polarity right connecting the new one, pretty sure that's all there is to it.

The following users thanked this post: Shaky

Offline fzabkar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2024, 08:53:28 pm »
I would try to identify IC1 (I can't read the markings). Hopefully the circuit is based on an application diagram in the IC's datasheet. That should tell you what the circuit is doing, and might help you find an appropriate replacement.

The following users thanked this post: Shaky

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2024, 06:08:23 pm »
Match wattage and make sure operating voltage is in range, avoid no name import stuff for safety and reliability, make sure you get the polarity right connecting the new one, pretty sure that's all there is to it.

Thanks for that  :) I've managed to source a unit from a manufacturer called Helvar which seems to fit the bill OK. 350mA drive current and can provide up to 200VDC so hopefully it should be fine.

I would try to identify IC1 (I can't read the markings). Hopefully the circuit is based on an application diagram in the IC's datasheet. That should tell you what the circuit is doing, and might help you find an appropriate replacement.

I'll see if I can get a better pic off one of the other units's driver that hasn't been burnt out.

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2024, 02:49:02 am »
Just thought I'd post back with an update. Found a guy on eBay selling some 2nd hand Helvar LL1x70-E-CC Adjustable Constant Current Drivers, four of them for £15 so I thought I'd take a punt. Set them up for 350mA & 120V, the result is I now have a working LED Batten again & 3 spare working drivers if I ever need 'em for 'owt  ;D I did have to swap-out a couple of LED's that'd blown that I noticed once I tested it with the new driver but no biggy and I've saved £25 for the sake of about an hour and half of my time.  ;)

"I'm sorry sir, these units have no user replaceable parts".............PAH  :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf