Author Topic: Impact Sport Earmuff  (Read 898 times)

Offline vidarrTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Impact Sport Earmuff
« on: April 16, 2020, 07:27:34 pm »
I have this "High Noise Reduction Rating Sound Amplification Electronic Shooting Earmuff" and one of the ears stopped working. No sound. It is the earmuff side without the driver board. After opening, I directly tested the speaker with a battery and it works. Then, I checked from the soldered leads on the driver board to check for a problem with the wire and the speaker still was working. So, it is not the speaker and it is not the wire from the driver board to the speaker.

The driver board, battery connections, all the soldering looks in really great shape. So, if this is a bad component on the board, that's pretty much it for ever having sound in that ear again isn't it? I hope it isn't so. Any ideas I can try?

Thank you!

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Impact Sport Earmuff
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 01:43:07 pm »
Well, I found the problem. I couldn't see it even with glasses on. I was poking around at the connections with a DMM and heard the speaker start to crackle. I took the pic and zoomed in really close. There it was.

Why would this happen though? And I am not the only one. There are many others out there with the same speaker being dead. Those people all ended up buying new earmuffs, so I don't know if it is exactly the same cause. But, still odd so many people with the same speaker dead. Maybe others will find this post when their speaker stops working and they do a search and see the likely cause. It is a very easy fix and will save $50 - $100 buying new earmuffs.

Thanks.

The following users thanked this post: reboots

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Impact Sport Earmuff
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 05:26:10 pm »
This is for all the people that have the same problem with the speaker/mic failing on one side. It is NOT just the GND wire from the battery through the headset to the other side where it is soldered to the driver board. It was also the MIC wire. It was very poorly soldered and just came "undone". There is a soft gel that covers the MIC wires where they solder on; the wire seemed only to be held by the gel. The wire came lose just barely touching when re-assembling the headset.

I know there are a lot of people out there with the same problem with the same set. Hope this helps someone.

The following users thanked this post: reboots

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf