Author Topic: JDS6600 Signal Generator Firmware hack?  (Read 1947 times)

Offline weakbitTopic starter

JDS6600 Signal Generator Firmware hack?
« on: April 20, 2021, 05:29:21 pm »
Hello,
due I bought today 2pcs used JDS6600 Generators but I made a misstake I don't know that are some JDS6600 exist with 60MHz so I think. But I get only the lite one with 15MHz. What can I do? Is it possible to make apatch inside the Generator to patch a new Firmware that extend my Frequency range to 60MHz? If yes how I can get this Firmware and how I can load it up to the µC?

Best Regards
Volker from Vienna

Offline MarkMLl

• Frequent Contributor
Re: JDS6600 Signal Generator Firmware hack?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 07:53:36 pm »
These devices have been discussed extensively in the past, with contributions from the manufacturer.

I don't know what other members of the community feel about this, but while almost everybody agrees that "hacking for the purpose of interfacing or fixing bugs" is above board, "hacking to upgrade to a more expensive model" is somewhat less so.

MarkMLl

Offline fzabkar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 03:36:57 am »
What I don't like is when a manufacturer designs a full featured model and then creates artificial performance classes by crippling the firmware. I also don't like badge engineering where a manufacturer targets two different markets with essentially the same product.

AISI, the OP's hack is a way of fighting back against these objectionable practices. I don't have any ethical problems with it.

The following users thanked this post: v81, JOFlaherty

Offline MarkMLl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 07:52:15 am »
AISI, the OP's hack is a way of fighting back against these objectionable practices. I don't have any ethical problems with it.

Maybe, maybe not. But I'd suggest that having manufacturers of all sizes be comfortable about this forum is to everybody's advantage, since on the one hand it gives members of the community a way of saying "we think this might be an undetected design flaw" and on the other hand it allows members of the community to quietly criticise the sort of commercial policy you are complaining about.

The gripping hand is that, like it or not, there is an overall community of users and vendors. Even if they don't always see eye to eye, it's to everybody's advantage that they're polite to each other.

MarkMLl

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf