Author Topic: LQFP48 - 48-pin, 7 x 7 mm trace repair  (Read 1220 times)

Offline lordvader88Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
LQFP48 - 48-pin, 7 x 7 mm trace repair
« on: September 22, 2018, 09:44:00 am »
On a DSO138 9V pocket scope, I made a real mess trying to solder on/off the MCU. Not a good way to learn how to solder this stuff. I have the latest chip on there, pretty much lined up and soldered down with a lot better technique this time.

So now it has about 8-9 broken traces. So there are 1-3mm gaps I need to bridge. 2 I just added a few cm of wire back to the via's the traces started from.

I tried bridging the the 1-3mm gaps with a piece of lead from 1/8W resistors, and
-some are side by side so it's super hard not to end up with a solder bridge between them
-it's such a small piece of lead, it's always sticking more to the iron than the trace/pin, and so it always going out of alinement

So I gave up again. Now I have a Andonstar 301 microscope. And that's like shaving in the mirror, I'm not used to that at all yet.

So I could try adding more pieces of longer wire, tacking it on 1 end then back a few cm, I know I can do that, thats still hard tho, there's so little solder holding it on the chip.

I have a hot airgun too now, I never back when I 1st messed it all up. It have now idea if it's safe to use the microscope even at max distance with it, and so I really better not, I'm not risking that.

I don't have solder paste yet, it's on the way from China.

If I use solder wick on a 1-3mm piece of lead, I'm sure that will never work

Any advice is welcome.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 09:46:50 am by lordvader88 »

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
Re: LQFP48 - 48-pin, 7 x 7 mm trace repair
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 03:42:18 pm »
-some are side by side so it's super hard not to end up with a solder bridge between them
-it's such a small piece of lead, it's always sticking more to the iron than the trace/pin, and so it always going out of alinement

yes, solder almost always goes in the direction of heat
use flux, put solder on the traces and wires first, try to heat the trace and then slide the wire in place

Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf