Author Topic: RIGOL DP811 REPAIR  (Read 1390 times)

Offline cidakTopic starter

• Supporter
  • One for all, all for one
RIGOL DP811 REPAIR
« on: January 03, 2024, 03:49:08 pm »
Hi everyone.

Big thanks in advance to the people who can help solve my repair problem on RIGOL DP811 (SINGLE OUTPUT 20v/10a 40v/5a).

I stupidly turned off the power supply   :palm: while a charging battery was connected to the output.

This incorrect operation caused an SMD current detector shunt resistor to burn out.

I can no longer read the value   \$\Omega\$ because it has burned out...

Can anyone check its value on their power supply, or indicate and/or provide me with the electronic diagram with part list of components of the DP811.

The position on the printout is R52.

I found some photos of a teradown of DP832, (the value is 0.020 Ohm) But the value used by Rigol on DP811 is different.

I can't read the value because the current detector resistor has burnt out. Who can kindly help?

Spending $1000 on a new power supply  :o for a stupid $2 resistor is crazy.
Help!!!
Thank you

« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 05:04:37 pm by cidak »

Offline fqahmad66

• Regular Contributor
Re: RIGOL DP811 REPAIR
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2024, 10:24:56 am »
This should not happen....any pictures please??

Offline MegaVolt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2024, 09:57:00 am »
Can anyone check its value on their power supply, or indicate and/or provide me with the electronic diagram with part list of components of the DP811.

The position on the printout is R52.
I have this power supply. And I can teardown it through a month.

If you are willing to wait a month, let me know.

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2024, 02:29:50 am »
My DP811 (lower board) identifies the shunt as R15. Unfortunately, apparently there's no marking on the resistor -- at least in the photo that I took of the PCB some time ago, there isn't anything recognizable that looks like a marking.

The DP811 is a very peculiar PSU with an SCR across the output that (sometimes) seems to act as a crowbar. I experimented with a paralleled, second lab PSU (low current setting) and found the 811 to enter a shorted output condition when I turned off its output while the other PSU was still supplying some voltage. IIRC, this happens only in a certain voltage range, and if I enable he 811's output while it's still in this "latched-up" state, it shorts out itself! Obviously, as long as the currents involved are low enough, nothing serious happens. Of course, a battery hasn't got a current limit, so the magic smoke will get released.

That's why Rigol recommends to always use a decoupling diode in series when charging batteries with their PSUs.

If time permits, I may open the PSU again and take a measurement of the shunt. But please let me know if the PCB in your 811 is identical with mine, otherwise Rigol may also have used a different value shunt and the whole "business" may be futile...

The following users thanked this post: MegaVolt

Online _Wim_

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2024, 06:42:52 am »
I would just install a current shunt (for example 0.02 ohm or whatever you have available), use the power supply in constant current mode for example outputting 1A, and measure the actual current with your multimeter. If the current is twice as high as it should be, you know your current shunt must be two times bigger, similar if too low. This way you can calculate what the actual shunt value needs to be.

The following users thanked this post: MegaVolt

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf