Author Topic: Keithley 2000 - TF-224 replacement  (Read 522 times)

Offline a.pawlowskiTopic starter

Keithley 2000 - TF-224 replacement
« on: October 23, 2021, 02:29:08 am »
Hi everyone! First post here.

So long story short I've bought a K2000 on eBay for a nice price.
It was listed "for parts only", an upon arriving I've discovered that C146 exploded, corroding a bunch of traces and the 7805.
I've ordered a full set of 125℃ replacement caps from Mouser, and after fixing the traces and replacing the caps the unit sprung back to life.

BUT!
When I was assembling it back my dumb ass has broken off R117, Keithley part num TF-224.
Description from the repair manual is RES NET, 100K, 9.9M, METAL FILM.

I was unable to find an original replacement, but I have found HVD5-B10M-050-05.
It has the same values, and seems to have decent accuracy and stability specs, so I ordered one from Mouser.

The only issue is that it has a completely different footprint. Both TF-224 and HVD5-B10M-050-05 are 2.54mm pitch components, but HVD5 is 2x longer.
Basically I need to create an adapter PCB. Designing one is straightforward, but I do worry about losing accuracy or stability, and because I have no expertise in these things, I'd really appreciate your help.

So my question is, is your-run-of-the-mill PCBWay PCB will do? Or do I need some pure copper, gold plated thing?
Also what kind of pin headers should I use? Also gold plated?

And in general, I'd appreciate any tips you can give me on this journey.
I do understand that the DMM will require recalibration after this surgery, but it was overdue for one anyway.

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 02:32:59 am by a.pawlowski »

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
Re: Keithley 2000 - TF-224 replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 07:49:37 am »
The points to care about are leakage currents and possible high voltage discharge. There is no need to wory about thermal EMF. Gold plating would be mainly for better solderability, so not really needed as a board (or needed at all) would be used fresh.

For a one of, i would consider some air wiring for the resistor network.  Air is a reasonable good isolator and thus mainly need to find a place to fix the network mechanically.  AFAIK the network is only used for the DC part and capacitance is thus not so critical.

The following users thanked this post: a.pawlowski

Offline a.pawlowskiTopic starter

Re: Keithley 2000 - TF-224 replacement
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 02:43:08 pm »
Thank you for the info!

Well if thermal EMF is not a problem and I can use standard materials - I'll try to etch a tiny PCB on my CNC so I don't have to wait (and pay) for manufacturing.

I'll update this thread if I'm successful in case anyone will face the same issue with their unit.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf