Author Topic: Miele Dishwasher repair  (Read 2947 times)

Offline Wallace GasiewiczTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Miele Dishwasher repair
« on: April 27, 2020, 10:30:20 pm »
I have a Miele G851GS dishwasher that stops on "intake drain" on the normal cycle. It stops after the rinse at the beginning of the wash cycle.
It appears that the pump works and can drain the unit.
Checked the intake and drain hoses, appear fine.
The dishwasher would work erratically in the past, sometimes running an entire cycle, sometimes not.
I have attempted to make sure all the connections to the control board are intact.
The dishwasher however is able to complete an entire cycle on "Top Solo"

Any suggestions??

Wally

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
Re: Miele Dishwasher repair
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 12:31:08 am »
You can find the Miele "technical information" service manual for the root model, G600/G800 family US models.
I would check the two float switches are free to move. Put it {G851} in Service Mode 2 and look at the fault codes. It's not going to be fun. Prepare to scream.

"Service Mode 2 is used to determine which upper electronic is in the machine, to change certain programmed functions and to access fault codes. The programmed functions include increasing the water temperature, turning on or off the water softener, adding an interim rinse, and setting the dishwasher width (18” or 24”).

1.   To access Service Mode 2, close the door and turn the program selector switch to Stop.
2.   Turn the dishwasher off.
3.   Press and hold the Top solo button while turning the dishwasher on. Release the Top solo button and immediately press it 2 more times. Flashing Intake/Drain and Salt lights indicates successful accessing of Service Mode 2.
4.   Turn the program selector switch to the appropriate position in Table 6-16 to access the various functions of Service Mode 2. Press and hold the Top solo button to toggle functions on or off."

The following users thanked this post: Wallace Gasiewicz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 01:16:06 pm »
Thanks for the info, to make a several week long story short, I eventually set the water intake time to the longer 100 sec and now the thing works. So far....

I did find the manual and "stepped' through  the program which did give me further information.

Offline jerryk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 03:36:29 pm »
I went through this error with my Miele 2141SCU.  It ended up being the intake filter orifices were clogged.  The problem was actually quite illusive.  I finally ended up with the right person at tech support that directed me to a filter that hides in a small box on the intake hose adapter.  It's just a cylindrical plastic insert with a circular arrangement of very small orifices that get clogged easily.  I finally moved that box under my sink so I would not have to pull the dishwasher to access it.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Jerry

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 05:24:02 pm »
Thanks Jerry, I did clean this filter on the inlet hose assembly several times with no help.
Setting the intake time to the longer time of 100 sec has helped since this morning.
The box you speak of is under my sink for easy access.

Wally

Offline jerryk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 06:11:49 pm »
Just make sure we are talking the same thing.  It's actually a metering orifice with a center hole and an arrangement of 6 or so other tiny orifices in a spoked pattern around the center.  Held up to the light you should be able to see this pattern of holes.  Another thought is on the drain side under the main stainless screen is a sort of transducer impeller that must spin on the drain cycle (as i understand it) to confirm that you drain is not clogged in some way.  There is a small plastic cover that hides it but you should be able to see it if your model has such a setup.  You should be able to spin it with your fingers.  It sounds like you have been rather thorough in your approach so I'm not sure I can add anything but a comment on Miele support.  It took a while with various reps on my problem resulting in several bandaid type fixes.  I'm glad I stuck with the calls because I almost gave up and got rid of it.

Take care - Jerry

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2020, 08:18:25 pm »
Yea Jerry, I even removed the metering device and the dishwasher still faulted.
Maybe there is an obstruction somewhere in the line, but I cannot find it. It seems to fill just fine, good audible water inrush, before and after I changed the filling time to 100 sec.

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2020, 10:18:20 pm »
If the metering device is not faulty and there are no clogs elsewhere I assume it is just a timer.
It would be strange that the filling time needs to be increased all of the sudden (defective timer if it is just an RC type and not microP?).
After you change the time has the water level in the tank changed?
Have you measured the inlet water pressure (low)?

Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2020, 10:56:05 pm »
I bought the thing used and it never worked correctly but switching it off and on a few times would result in a complete cycle. Then it would not even do that. So now with the longer filling cycle it works. Yea, I did look around for a clog, The water level LOOKS the same. Checked every where I could for scale, did not find any.
The water pressure in my house is OK, I think. I have worked on all sorts of home repairs in multiple houses and the water pressure here does not appear to be low. Maybe it is, did not measure it. There is a turn off valve in the dishwasher line just before the dishwasher valve. I did overhaul this valve and it appears OK, but it might be enough to decrease filling. I do not know.
I am not a pro however, the last time I did actual work in plumbing and heating I was 10 years old. I worked for my dad. Child labor.

I think the timer is a microprocessor and senses some sort of "clicks " on the intake.  Volume sort of, rather than pressure. The unit manages the intake volume as best as it can, the volume is supposed to be the same whether you have it set for 60 or 100 sec intake.
I suppose the 60 sec intake time was not enough to reach the proper volume. But again the volume of water I see in the bottom of the unit looks about the same.
I did clean up the control board and make sure that all the connections were intact.

Wally
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 11:08:32 pm by Wallace Gasiewicz »

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2020, 02:27:36 am »
"but switching it off and on a few times would result in a complete cycle"

That is interesting. If the whole thing is microprocessor controlled it might initialise differently sometimes.
Seems you have access to the board. A careful check for corrosion and checking electrolytic capacitors and voltages on the board might be in order then.

I have a JennAir that would go wonky and then sometime work if I cut power completely to force a reboot.  Turned out to be an intermittent bad contacts between the front panel to main board ribbon wiring that would screw up the microP initialisation process.
It would then be perfectly consistent in the misbehaving function. A new reboot might bring a different misbehaving issue or all would be OK for weeks..... :horse:
Heat and humidity are not friends of electronics.

Best of luck with it.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 02:30:53 am by richnormand »
Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2020, 06:37:09 am »

Our Miele Dishwasher was playing games and no Miele techs available for weeks  |O

and local techs not interested because of parts and schematics hassles iirc  :horse:

So I desperately hit on Youtube and after watching ALL the related videos in a 3 hour stretch, and cupsa tea. 

I tried out all the recommendations, and the final win was modifying a kitchen fork as a tool as recommended
to sort out a blockage of fine wine glass shards and other pasted muck stuck in a spot that only that poor mans 'tool' could access and turn  :o

Unbelievably it's been working perfectly for 2 years now, if not better, and won't miss a beat,
probably saved 200 to 400 hundred on the repair and 'parts' if the tech chose to swap out rather than purge.

I hope you have similar luck  :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf