Author Topic: Kikusui COM7101A Oscilloscope - Horizontal final amplifier bad  (Read 290 times)

Online HeatsinkTopic starter

• Contributor
Kikusui COM7101A Oscilloscope - Horizontal final amplifier bad
« on: October 20, 2023, 02:28:06 pm »
Hello community,

I am stuck trying to repair this older scope from the 90ties. It is an analog scope, with a digital storage part. The horizontal system stopped working. The final amplifier is a hybrid (H31 in the schematics) that is mounted together with some external components on the horizontal/vertical amplifier PCB. I was able to remove most of the resin from the hybrid and it contains an h-bridge that drives the CRT horizontal plates with 140V. Several resistors were out of spec and a 330 Ohms resistor was burnt. I replaced them and the 330 Ohms burns immediately when I connect the 140V to the module. I am running in circles when I try to understand why, but it measures 140V on one side and 5V on the other. It seems like the wrong transistors of the h-bridge are open and connect the resistor to the 5V rail. All transistors on the hybrid seem okay (diode tester). All resistors are within 10%. Looking at the input pins 10 and 11 (where the signal comes from the motherboard) I can see a lot of spikes where I would expect a clean sawtooth. These spikes are still there when I pull the amplifier pcb, so they come from the motherboard. I am no longer sure whether the issue is the hybrid, or whether these spikes cause the problem. Sorry for my English and the baby oscilloscope that I use to troubleshoot the other one. -- AIso, I desoldered the 4 h-bridge transistors and tested them externally. They are okay.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 03:36:58 pm by Heatsink »

Online HeatsinkTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: Kikusui COM7101A Oscilloscope - Horizontal final amplifier bad
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2023, 05:38:32 pm »
Fixed!
The spikes were caused by the character generator when it deflects the electron beam to write characters on the screen. I am not 100% sure what the problem was, but removing one of the feeding resistors for the h-bridge from the hybrid and using an external resistor instead did the trick. Happy to have this old scope back!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf