Author Topic: Killed my Riden RD6018. Need help with measurements or identifying components.  (Read 2009 times)

Offline MBYTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
I was working with using the fan header pin as a control for enabling a case fan, and did a stupid thing that destroyed the fan and a small DCDC on board. After some fault finding, I found that a step down converter for the main electronics works, but another DCDC after that is blown. First i thought it was an LDO, but the circuitry shows it's a DCDC. Its a SOT-23-6 with the marking "B6280n" that I can't identify. I noticed resistors for the feedback, but I don't know about the reference voltage, and I have a suspicion that it may be an inverting DCDC.

Attached is a picture of the main board and arrows to the suspected area. If someone knows that the component U3 is, or can measure the input and output voltage of it, it would be very helpful!

The input voltage (output of the first DCDC) is also needed to confirm. I measured the feedback resistors of the first DCDC (an XL7015) but in circuit and I'm not sure that my calculations is correct. I calculated that it would provide about 4.7 volts.

To clarify, the topology is something like this:
70 VDC in->stepdown XL7015->Vin->SOT-23-6 DCDC that may be a stepdown, a stepup or a rail inverter->Vout

Vin should probably be 5 volts (the power relay seems to need 5 volts) and I have no clue about Vout. It seems excessive to use a DCDC to get say 3.3V, as a LDO should suffice. And, it seems that there are a LDO (U6) there anyway.

I've drawn lines to points where Vin and Vout should be present (don't worry about the missing SS110 diode, I've removed it temporarily).

So, can anyone measure these voltages and/or know what the U3 is for component? Possibly this part of the circuit could be same on the more common RD6006 or RD6012 models.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 05:09:52 pm by MBY »

Offline Swainster

• Frequent Contributor
My guess: Shouding SDB628 boost regulator. You can get it from LCSC.com.

The following users thanked this post: MBY, fzabkar

Offline MBYTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Thanks! That makes sense! Stupid me who already put an order on LCSC.com yesterday of all kinds of components I did identify, now I have to pay postage again! :D

With a 0.6V of FB voltage and 130/10k (measured by removal, not in circuit as the case with the XL7015) that gives 8.4V (0.6*(1+R1/R2)). I hope someone could confirm that!

Offline MBYTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Okay, now I can confirm myself that the calculation was right. The boost converter takes the 5ish volts to 8.4V. Hopefully this info can be useful for someone else.

Offline MBYTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
So I got these components from LCSC that I could identify. Changed the power FETs (that had shorted), the SDB628 regulator and some diodes. But it didn't work. The display comes on, but goes off after a fraction of a second. The 5V rails measures 2.7V and seems to be shorted at "U1", a SOT-23-5 with the code "7517". It gets hot. But I can't identify it. Based of the location, it doesn't seem to belong to the power generation, but is among some OPamps, small signal and SOT power-transistors and some unidentified 10-pin circuit (that's not a SO-10, but something with finer (0.625?) pitch.

Anyone have a guess what a "7517" in a SOT-23-5 is?

Offline Swainster

• Frequent Contributor
Ooh, I'll have another go. My Google fu says it might be a TI UCC27517 low side mosfet gate driver. If so, before replacing it, I suppose it might be worth checking that the attached mosfet gate is not shorted to ground.

The following users thanked this post: MBY

Online fzabkar

• Super Contributor

The following users thanked this post: MBY

Offline MBYTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Ooh, I'll have another go. My Google fu says it might be a TI UCC27517 low side mosfet gate driver. If so, before replacing it, I suppose it might be worth checking that the attached mosfet gate is not shorted to ground.
Thanks, may very well be it. Pin 5 measures 10 ohm to one of the switching transistors, which is reasonable. But I didn't expect to find a mos driver there, but two or nothing (discrete solution). Because there is two identical power FETs (HY3210) and they are not in parallel. Maybe one of them is simply one/off, but both are mounted on the single heat sink as if both burns a lot of power. The FETs are okay btw. Already swapped them, and checked them again after testing. With the 7517 removed, the unit starts and appear to work, but of course doesn't work properly without the drive.

Edit: It may be a push-pull stage (drain on the FET connected to the 7517 is connected to the source of the other one) where only one level needs a driver. That may explain why the unit "almost" work without the 7517 and sets output voltage correctly (externally measured), but it collapse with a load of a few milliamps).

Geez, a schematic should be very handy...

http://www.smdmark.com/en-US/search/code?id=7517
Ah, good. Another SMD search site. The ones I used could not help me. Bookmarked!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 02:15:36 am by MBY »

Offline MBYTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Time for a follow up. I ordered the mosfet driver but never come around to test it before now. It works!

So now it seems like the unit is fully functioning, but something is still faulty or out of spec. The indicated output voltage when output is off is abut 0.5-0.6 volts. The current knee at current limit is somewhat broken. It has going soft. Eg., if I set the voltage to 5 volts, current to 1 A, and load with 500 mA, the voltage drops to 4.5V in CV mode. Increasing the CC setting and the voltage goes up. When the current limit is 10A or so, I can load the output from zero to perhaps 2A with a stable voltage.

Something 'analogish' is broken and there are several opamps in the design and the dual board construction makes it hard to debug.

So this RD6018 can only serve as a rough PSU for menial tasks as charging batteries or powering something not needing a current limit.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf