Author Topic: Laptop battery Fix - Replacement issues  (Read 1373 times)

Offline KilroywashereTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • He has the stink of oil and electric circuitry...
Laptop battery Fix - Replacement issues
« on: March 09, 2019, 03:59:50 am »
So i got a laptop with a bad batteries .... the guy had thrown in a replacement .... it was out of its sealed case , it did not work plugged in but the batteries work ..... so i wanted to fix it so i had a good unbroken case  with a good bord... i did my best to guess what went where and hooked up the wires .... it did not work .... 

any way wanted to know how to fix this .... what would you do?   Is it possible to just make a new bord? just want this computer to have its cordless life back :P

If you need more info or photos let me know...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 04:03:23 am by Kilroywashere »
He is part of the dead...he has no place here. He has the stink of oil and electric circuitry about him. He is obsolete...

• Regular Contributor
Re: Laptop battery Fix - Replacement issues
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 04:12:37 am »
So i got a laptop with a bad batteries .... the guy had thrown in a replacement .... it was out of its sealed case , it did not work plugged in but the batteries work ..... so i wanted to fix it so i had a good unbroken case  with a good bord... i did my best to guess what went where and hooked up the wires .... it did not work .... 

any way wanted to know how to fix this .... what would you do?   Is it possible to just make a new bord? just want this computer to have its cordless life back :P

If you need more info or photos let me know...
He is part of the dead...he has no place here. He has the stink of oil and electric circuitry about him. He is obsolete...

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 12:34:34 pm »
you you program it? reset? unlock?
its not excatly plug and play
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 11:06:46 pm »
I know its not plug and play...  But. They are for the same computer they are the same battery. Just one is cheeper

Is there a way i can make my own bord for this computer.?

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline LateLesley

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 02:17:31 am »
Having looked into this type of thing myself, it's not as simple as it first seems. the board is actually a battery management system, which communicates with the laptop, but also stores data to track the health of the cells, and prevent charging if they get damaged. If the cells have been allowed to discharge too much, it may lock out the battery. And even replacing the cells won't fix it, as the battery management microcontroller needs reprogrammed, and they are usually encrypted and password protected. There are some folk who I think have gotten into programming them, but information is scarce. It may just be better to invest in a new battery, complete with guarantee.

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_repair_a_laptop_battery

https://www.renesas.com/eu/en/solutions/key-technology/power-management/battery-management.html

« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 02:23:36 am by LateLesley »

The following users thanked this post: Kilroywashere

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 03:26:42 am »
Thank you so much!  Yeah I see what you mean... Well no loss really the batteies are atill good and ill use then for somethin else

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 06:10:58 am »
How hard it is to do depends on the battery. Some of them you have to "jump start" to reset the protection circuit after the cells have been disconnected because it thinks the cells have been over-discharged. Many laptop batteries keep track of the number of charge cycles and won't fully charge cells it thinks have too many cycles even if you replace the cells. The cheap aftermarket packs from China tend to be easier to hack.

The following users thanked this post: Kilroywashere

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 02:52:12 am »
Thank you guys for the help here is a video of the project and the end result .....Thanks for the help

https://youtu.be/9OPFocHoWHY

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf