Author Topic: LCR meter BSIDE ESR02 Pro problem  (Read 1076 times)

Offline Filippo52Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
LCR meter BSIDE ESR02 Pro problem
« on: December 03, 2022, 07:16:23 pm »
I wanted to ask for help on this forum which I believe is one of the few places I could get it.
Last night my meter stopped working properly but it doesn't look totally broken. It does strange things that I try to describe with the help of photos.

It turns on regularly but without putting anything to measure instead of giving the message after a few seconds
"No, unknown, or damaged part"
waits for 15 seconds and then gives the message you see in the picture for another 25 seconds. And then the screen goes white at the lowest brightness.
If you put a component to measure nothing changes.
You can access the menu but it doesn't seem to work properly. For example, if you try to do the "Selftest" the message "Short Probes!" stays on for a while and then returns to the menu.
I checked and the apparatus absorbs over 100mA against the approximately 20mA that a functioning one absorbs.
I'm afraid something happened but I don't have the schematic and I don't know where to put my hands,
Does anyone have the schematic? or can you give advice?
Thank you
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 08:15:48 pm by Filippo52 »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
Re: LCR meter BSIDE ESR02 Pro problem
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2022, 08:46:17 pm »
Most likely two MCU pins are toasted (charged cap?). You can replace the MCU and program one of the two OSHW firmwares.

Offline AkibUddin

• Contributor
  • Be proud of who you are
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2022, 01:27:30 am »
I wanted to ask for help on this forum which I believe is one of the few places I could get it.
Last night my meter stopped working properly but it doesn't look totally broken. It does strange things that I try to describe with the help of photos.

It turns on regularly but without putting anything to measure instead of giving the message after a few seconds
"No, unknown, or damaged part"
waits for 15 seconds and then gives the message you see in the picture for another 25 seconds. And then the screen goes white at the lowest brightness.
If you put a component to measure nothing changes.
You can access the menu but it doesn't seem to work properly. For example, if you try to do the "Selftest" the message "Short Probes!" stays on for a while and then returns to the menu.
I checked and the apparatus absorbs over 100mA against the approximately 20mA that a functioning one absorbs.
I'm afraid something happened but I don't have the schematic and I don't know where to put my hands,
Does anyone have the schematic? or can you give advice?
Thank you
You want to took risk about it  :blah: Be sure about battery supply socket (adapter socket polarity) ok or smd pad not shorted !
Best regards,
Akib Zabed

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2022, 11:28:57 am »
thanks for the answer but when it happened I was trying components that had been in the drawer for months, and therefore there could not be a charged cap.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2022, 11:41:53 am »
The polarity of the power supply is OK.
But if I measure, as you suggested, with a tester the resistance between any two of pins 1, 2 and 3 in a good and working ESR02  I measure 2-3 Mohm while in the broken one I find 20-30K.
The measurements change a lot using different meters and ranges and even more with another instrument like an LCR; but anyway in the faulty device the resistance is much lower.
I have cleaned the PD more than once, if I had the schematic I would see if there are capacitors in the paths:
Anyway, thanks for the clear and sensible answer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2022, 09:02:44 am »
Referring to your
" or smd pad not shorted !"
I tried to cut the tracks that connect the ATMega328 outputs to 1, 2 and 3 of the pad as well.
Unfortunately, the resistance value measured between the ATMega328's pins remained the same, while that of the measurement points 1,2 e 3 both on the pad and on the main connectors decreased significantly, becoming similar to that of the working Bside ESR02.
I'm afraid at this point the ATMega328 is damaged even though I didn't use charged capacitors. I fear it could be damaged even if during the measurement the capacitor is not firmly in its seat and makes jumping contacts

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2022, 03:48:34 pm »
Bad contacts won't kill the ATmega, but voltages above 5V. There's a protection relay hardware option which might help, or a simple modification with an SRV05-4 and a TVS.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 06:21:18 pm by madires »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2022, 05:43:12 pm »
Thanks for your kind reply. But I have used capacitors that have been in the drawer for months and therefore definitely discharged.
The only mistake I may have made is in positioning them for their size. Sometimes the capacitor has slipped out of my hands and I've put it back in without discharging it; but they could only have the charge that the ESR02 gave them.
I may have touched a capacitor lead with my hands and maybe I had a static charge in my hands.
I'm not very practical and I didn't understand the abbreviations that he gave me as a simple modification; What are?

Thanks again

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2022, 06:25:06 pm »
You'll find them in Karl-Heinz's documentation (https://github.com/kubi48/TransistorTester-documentation).

Offline precaud

• Frequent Contributor
    • LinearZ
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2022, 01:53:56 pm »
The same thing happened with mine. After 1 month it powered up to a white screen. I never used it to test capacitors, just transistors/diodes. Replaced it with one where the ATmega chip was socketed.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2022, 02:20:37 pm »
After some time, re-examining the scheme, I can make another hypothesis.
The measurement input lines go directly to the CPU without any type of protection.
Even if capacities with residual charge are not measured, it is sufficient for the operator to hold the terminals, for example of a diode, with his hands and have a residual electrostatic charge on him to kill the ATmega, or damage it so that then those strange results

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf