Author Topic: LeCroy Wavesurfer 3074 won't boot  (Read 646 times)

Offline SkrTopic starter

• Skr's Stuff
LeCroy Wavesurfer 3074 won't boot
« on: March 09, 2024, 02:53:45 pm »
Hello,

First of all, I am aware that other threads regarding the Wavesurfer 3000 family booting issues exist. However I believe my problem is different, and the solutions provided there did not work.

I was able to get a WS3074 that was getting discarded because it was "not functional". So I tried to look into it.
It does not boot at all. All I get is the boot logo, that never disappears. I believe it is boot looping very early in the booting stage, only showing the logo (I'll explain why later).

I tried re-flashing it, and using the recovery files given here.
I did use an MBR FAT micro-SD card. However, the oscilloscope never boot and tries to load the files in a loop. As it if it was rebooting as soon as the files were loaded (thus explaining why I believe it is boot looping early).

I also tried creating an account on LeCroy's website to be able to download there or to contact support to get a recovery disk that could be more recent or more adapted. However they did not approve it as my "school's name is in French", even though it's not really the case, it's just literally its name. Tried contacting them by phone but no luck at the moment.

I also completely disassembled it, just to do some basics checks (visual inspection, PSU verification), but everything seemed fine.
It's not a NAND flash issue as altering the boot logo in the recovery disk does changes it until reflashing the original one (and I believe there is only one flash memory for storing WinCE).

So here I am, I was wondering if anyone would've had an idea regarding what the issue could be.
And more specifically, if anyone has a different recovery disk archive.

At this point, I am suspecting a possible hardware issue but I guessed it couldn't hurt to ask!

In any case, thank you in advance.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: LeCroy Wavesurfer 3074 won't boot
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2024, 06:57:09 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Once the recovery files have been loaded and the scope attempts to boot it may be they are reloading again.
Remove SD card and try to boot as normal.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline SkrTopic starter

• Skr's Stuff
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2024, 11:29:43 pm »
Thank you!

And I did try that, multiple and multiple times, with no luck unfortunately...

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2024, 11:49:19 pm »
Thank you!

And I did try that, multiple and multiple times, with no luck unfortunately...
And Math presses also ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline SkrTopic starter

• Skr's Stuff
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2024, 12:56:17 am »
I did try the procedure from here, also by holding, and even tried it with all of the buttons really, but I was not able to have any different behavior.

Furthermore, in the original thread I linked, kinero explains:
Quote from: kinero
The original restore package shared in this thread contains _format.bin with the underscore. For kicks and giggles, I tried renaming it to format.bin and running a complete format cycle, but this resulted in an inoperable scope, requiring to perform full restore + format using the new Teledyne restore package.

Without seeing this post at first I also did that, which I guess could've messed something up (even though I already had the same behavior before that, and that doing that also lead to the same boot loop - with the added format step). However like I said I am unable to get in touch with LeCroy...

I might try to solder an FTDI/UART-USB on the MoBo to see if I can get anything from the serial out, like mentioned in the same thread. However I will not be able to test this until Monday at best.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 12:59:58 am by Skr »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2024, 06:15:48 pm »
I also tried creating an account on LeCroy's website to be able to download there or to contact support to get a recovery disk that could be more recent or more adapted. However they did not approve it as my "school's name is in French", even though it's not really the case, it's just literally its name.
What they probably meant is one of two things:
1. They want the name of the school translated (e.g. “University of Lausanne” instead of “Université de Lausanne”).
2. They simply don’t want accented characters, and want you to use plain characters instead. (E.g. “Universite de Lausanne” instead of “ Université de Lausanne”).

Of course, IMHO they should have either fixed it for you or told you exactly what they mean, but frankly I’m not surprised at LeCroy acting like that… :/

I suggest reaching out to a LeCroy sales representative. They may be able to help further.

Offline SkrTopic starter

• Skr's Stuff
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2024, 01:35:57 pm »
Thanks! And they wanted the school's initials.

They gave me another recovery disk, that's older than the one provided in the original thread I linked...
And it does not help, I have the same problem. I even believe the scope might now be bricked as I can't even get the boot splash screen, nor is it displaying that it is loading the SD card files. Just a plain black screen.
I believe the FPGA used as a display driver might have been badly reprogrammed (as a bitstream appears present in the recovery disk)?...

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2024, 12:10:57 am »
And it does not help, I have the same problem. I even believe the scope might now be bricked as I can't even get the boot splash screen, nor is it displaying that it is loading the SD card files. Just a plain black screen.
I had mine do this also, but pressing the Math button brought it back.

Offline SkrTopic starter

• Skr's Stuff
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2024, 05:29:45 pm »
Did you hold it before and while starting it, or did you mash it repeatedly?

Thanks!

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2024, 11:41:33 pm »
Did you hold it before and while starting it, or did you mash it repeatedly?
I held it while powering on...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf