Author Topic: Lenovo ThinkPad E580 powers on, no display, then turns off.  (Read 451 times)

Offline Arty30Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hello, I have a Lenovo ThinkPad E580 That is non-functioning. I got it for almost nothing because it had a corrosion issue. I replaced a peripheral board that had damaged ports. I believe it was stone dead since it had been sitting a while. I cleaned it up as best as I could, but when it comes to testing I did not make it very far. It finished charging, and when I press the power button the power LED and all the num lock/scroll lock/ fn lock lights come on for about 20 seconds, and then it powers off. I hear the fan running while it does this, and when I shine a light on the screen I see it get darker as if it's displaying a "black" screen but nothing more. perhaps the backlight is dead, but I'm not sure that would make it shut down after about 30 seconds. I haven't tried anything yet I just want to hear if anyone has any tips. I wouldn't be too surprised if it's junk.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
Re: Lenovo ThinkPad E580 powers on, no display, then turns off.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2023, 04:15:23 am »
You can check for activity on the BIOS pins to see if the CPU is reading from it.

Schematic seems to be available under reference ID "NM-B421".

Offline Arty30Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Lenovo ThinkPad E580 powers on, no display, then turns off.
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2023, 02:26:20 pm »
OK so I reseated all the cables I could get to and moved the RAM to the other slot and now it seems to work. Windows seems to be acting weird so I'm just going to reinstall windows.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf