Author Topic: LG Plasma TV power supply  (Read 16597 times)

Offline videobruceTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
LG Plasma TV power supply
« on: October 07, 2014, 03:16:33 pm »
I have a bad PS from a LG 60PK250 Plasma TV. There was no standby voltage. I replaced that with a used supply and the set works fine.
Under a magnifying lamp, I found no exceptions to the original board (mfg, date 3/10) including bulged caps, nor did I find any cold solder joints.

Are the only components that can be tested in circuit are diodes? I have no schematics, only block diagrams from their training manual which is far more than what their so called service manual shows.  >:(

I don't want to guess and start pulling components randomly to test or just replace.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 03:29:26 pm by videobruce »

Offline N2IXK

• Frequent Contributor
Re: LG Plasma TV power supply
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 04:51:20 pm »
The standby supply SHOULD be pretty simple to troubleshoot.  Often a small SMPS or linear transformer/rectifier/regulator fed directly off the incoming line ahead of the main power relay. Sometimes part of the main PSU board, sometimes not.

Once you find it, look for an open fuse feeding it. The fuses used here are usually soldered in "picofuses" that look like resistors.

You really want to get a schematic/service manual, which seems to be available from a few places online.

"My favorite programming language is...SOLDER!"--Robert A. Pease

Offline sunnyhighway

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 05:25:36 pm »
Are the only components that can be tested in circuit are diodes?

No.
Because most components fail either open or dead short you can always do resistance measurement on unpowered boards.

You seem to have a defective power supply and an identical working one.
This makes it possible to compare component measurements without schematics and without desoldering.

Whatever component you are measuring on the known good board, you should get similar ohms readings on the defective board if the component you are measuring is not broken.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 10:05:51 pm »
You really want to get a schematic/service manual, which seems to be available from a few places online.
Yes, I really wanted to get one except for the minor point; there aren't any:--
I have searched three times and the best I managed to find is a training guide for their top end set (in that series) that has the same panel, but a different chassis. It's a help, but there are no schematics for either the PS, or the Y or Z boards which comprise 90% of the circuity of the set. I might add I have three similar service manuals and all they have are schematics of the "Control" board and the "Main" board.

I wanted to avoid removing that board since that is the main TV and I don't know the discharge time for all of those caps.  ;)

It could be worse, it could be a Vizio and I would have neither. There are no service manuals (let along schematics) available for any of their models in the past 3 or so years, just the older sets.

Here is the board;

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 10:43:15 pm »
The standby supply SHOULD be pretty simple to troubleshoot.  Often a small SMPS or linear transformer/rectifier/regulator fed directly off the incoming line ahead of the main power relay. Sometimes part of the main PSU board, sometimes not.

Once you find it, look for an open fuse feeding it. The fuses used here are usually soldered in "picofuses" that look like resistors.

As N2IXK says they can be quite simple to troubleshoot.
Find the datasheet for the IC and often there is a "typical application" that is often copied on PCB's.
Often the VCC cap for the IC ages and needs to be replaced.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 10:11:37 am »
IC?? There are none on that board.  :-//

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 12:47:16 pm »
There is more than enough stuff on this series on the web. You just need to use various google keywords e.g. the model, the smps board, the panel, part numbers, other models in series, other models of a similar series.

http://elektrotanya.com/lg_60pk750_chassis_pu02a_panel_60r1_exploded_sch.pdf/download.html

http://forum.iwenzo.de/attachment_processor.php?mode=download_file&id=7929

https://www.scribd.com/doc/111967907/Lg-60pk250-60pk540-60pk550-60pk560-60pk750-60pk950-Chassis-Pu02a-Panel-60r1-Alignment

Different model but similar board.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 12:52:38 pm by Shock »
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline 4thDoctorWhoFan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 02:58:30 pm »
I'm sure you already checked, but are those four fuses in the middle of the board good?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 09:29:40 pm »
Yes on the fuses, the 2nd thing I checked after a visual inspection of the caps. The standby light would light for 2 seconds then go dark after it was plugged in. No relay clicks.

Shock;
Thanks for the links but I already had all of those. That link for the SM is for a different chassis. As I stated, I already did more than one extensive search. None of those have any PS schematics which is really ridiculous.
I did search u-boob, but I only found what you posted. Some guy with a crap shaky camera phone that was pedaling his $70 service to replace four components for a different problem (the clicking relays problem which is more common).

« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 10:08:14 am by videobruce »

Offline StubbornGreek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 12:35:22 am »
I've seen bad thermistors in LG psu's more than once or twice. Just figured I'd chime in. GL
"The reward of a thing well done is to have it done"
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 10:09:34 am »
I'll remove the power cord, let it sit overnight to be sure any residual charges are gone and start taking readings to compare with the good board.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 11:06:06 am »
I'll remove the power cord, let it sit overnight to be sure any residual charges are gone and start taking readings to compare with the good board.

BANG! You just got electrocuted or damaged your multimeter because you expected the circuit to discharge overnight.

Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 12:21:34 pm »
See if you can find the bootstrap resistor. Look for a large value 1/2W or 1W resistor, eg, 100K-500K

It's used to start the main IC when power is first connected. They are often under-size and fail open
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 08:02:17 pm »
But not if I test for residual voltages first with a $20 DVM.  ;)

I'll look for that resister. There is a IC on the bottom of the board that I forgot about. That will be a starting place though with no power, I don't know if I would see a difference between boards.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf