Author Topic: Lipo battery reversing polarity ?  (Read 1276 times)

Offline Carl ETopic starter

• Contributor
Lipo battery reversing polarity ?
« on: September 24, 2021, 12:38:08 am »
Hi,
Something I've never seen.....My hand vac died in mid use. Reading  14v on an 18V pack I found a Lipo battery ( 18650 ) with reversed polarity. It was the last battery in a series string.   I removed the cell, tested it again, .500 volts reversed polarity. Anybody ever run across this? Once I replaced the bad battery the pack was good again.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
Re: Lipo battery reversing polarity ?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 12:43:47 am »
Charge reversal can happen to the weakest cell of pretty much any battery chemistry in a string under the right circumstances. I've never seen it on a lithium cell, but only because the BMS usually shuts things down before it gets that far. As you've demonstrated, it's clearly possible.

The following users thanked this post: I wanted a rude username

Offline feedback.loop

• Frequent Contributor

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 04:56:17 am »
Does the unit have a proper BMS that monitors each cell? You probably already know this, but don't attempt to revive the reversed cell, it has been damaged and charging it could be dangerous.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 06:53:08 am »
A lot of cheaper designs don't have balancing and rely on the cells being matched in capacity and charge initially. They tend to last longer if you don't deep-discharge the whole pack before charging it each time.

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2021, 06:45:36 pm »
I guess you are also supposed not to overcharge, then |O

Sounds very cheap and dodgy :--

Offline Carl ETopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2021, 09:26:02 pm »
Thanks to all who replied. I have already put the defective cell in the recycle bin.The battery pack does monitor each cell for balance, HOWEVER,  this particular vacuum is a B&D Pivot that has a design flaw that shut off the vac after a few seconds. Once it did that and the switch was turned off then on again, it would run a little less time before stopping again. This could be repeated several times. I put a jumper from ground at the battery to ground at the switch and that solved the problem. Apparently there is some circuitry that broke the ground from the battery pack to the switch and once it shut off, the connection was restored but the switch had to be turned off and back on to get it to run.. I could never catch the open with a DVM. I originally thought there was a thermal cutoff in the motor but that was not the case. It will be interesting to see if another cell reverses polarity. I wish I could see a schematic for it.
Will let you know what happens in the future.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf