Author Topic: List of power supplies known to kill devices  (Read 2304 times)

Online wraper

• Supporter
Re: List of power supplies known to kill devices
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2022, 11:30:03 am »
It is hard to overvoltage computer switching power supplies, even the very old ones. On 5V rail you may get only 6V or something. On 12V rail you may squeeze out 15V maybe if you try hard. It is easier to lower the voltage than to raise it, even with that there are limits that a particular PSU can provide.
It's not hard but very easy to output a voltage much higher than numbers you mentioned as of SMPS itself. The only thing that makes it non trivial if you want to do so is that any non garbage ATX PSU made these days has a supervisor circuit which will shut it down once OVP protection triggers.

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
Re: List of power supplies known to kill devices
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2022, 05:00:03 pm »
You should just leave it at I brought XYZ, and this is my failure analysis.

There are hundreds of PC power supply brands and 95% of them aren't worth buying when you consider a failure or a surge can take out your supply/board/ram/cpu etc.

This is not a problem that needs a solution it's been like this for 30 years or more? They make em cheap on purpose, noone cares unless you are a sucker and buy a pc with a dirt cheap power supply and get told later you brought trash.

Edit:

A realistic formula would be 20% of motherboard/cpu/ram cost. But if you are buying a decent GPU or a lot of storage you're getting a good power supply no matter what. Never spend $60 and run $2000 of gear off it, that is just asking for it. I also don't like buying mainland chinese products, Taiwan has much more experience in this area. Don't buy parts from companies that don't have websites unless you consider them disposable parts as it's probably some other rubbish brand relabeled anyway.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 05:23:31 pm by Shock »
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf