Author Topic: Long delays with Digikey shipping.  (Read 1904 times)

Offline PaceguyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Long delays with Digikey shipping.
« on: January 22, 2024, 05:14:14 pm »
I ordered parts from Digikey last Tuesday and have yet to receive the shipment. I'm on a FB group where others have said they are also having the same problem. I have purchased from Digikey for years and usually received my order the following day. Tomorrow will be one week and Fedex has yet to pickup the package from their warehouse facilities. I think that I'll think twice before I place another parts order with them.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
Re: Long delays with Digikey shipping.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2024, 05:24:14 pm »
It was the winter storm and cold snap.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline TimeBandit

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2024, 01:44:04 am »
The delay explanation changes depending on who you speak with from Digikey. I was told the delays are due to growing pains from the move to their new warehouse.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2024, 02:40:02 am »
The new Digi-Key mega-warehouse opened Aug. 2022 so it should be somewhat functional by now? Unless all that automation is as awful as their website lol.
Usually FedEx is the one with the delays during bad weather, and afterwards a massive backlog to clear up.

Online ejeffrey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2024, 02:55:19 am »
I've had a couple of orders recently with unexplained delays before shipping.  Like instead of shipping same day or the next morning depending on the time of day, it takes an extra 1-2 days to ship.

Offline 5U4GB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2024, 11:42:04 pm »
Could it depend on the shipping method?  I ordered something on Sunday and chose DHL over UPS/Fedex because they've been pretty good in the past and it was picked up Monday morning.

Online pac1085

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2024, 11:55:59 pm »
I noticed on the last page of my packing list it says there was an internal delay and they apologize for the inconvenience.

I also noticed that half the bags have the old labels on them, half the bags have the new labels on them, and some of the bags have some other weird label on them.  Someone else said it was because they are doing inter-warehouse transfers while they get moved over...

But yeah, my order have been taking several days to ship.

Offline Jwillis

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2024, 01:33:05 am »
There may be back logs. We've experience sub -40oC with wind chills as low as -50oc in some areas. This has caused delays before. Welcome to Canada.

Offline fmashockie

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2024, 05:00:52 am »
I've noticed this as well.  And for this reason tend to order from Mouser.  In my experience, they're much faster.

Offline J-R

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2024, 06:37:49 am »
I placed orders with Digi-Key and Mouser on Tuesday, Digi-Key shipped on Wednesday, Mouser on Thursday.  USPS.

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2024, 11:17:19 am »
I haven't had delays of more than say two days from them, but my last two, if not last three, orders have been delayed and I've been seeing a large portion of them in the last two years get delayed (sometimes I get the delay email only to have them to ship with the initial delivery estimate.)

I wonder if they're having worker shortages or the like, I haven't noticed that it's particularly seasonal.

Offline 5U4GB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2024, 12:56:30 pm »
So my DigiKey order was delivered today, four days from the US to here.  Mind you I chose DHL from the options { UPS, DHL, Fedex } because DHL have always provided excellent service in the past, so that possibly affected the outcome.

Offline audiotubes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2024, 01:28:53 pm »
Mouser was late for me last week also. Ordered Sunday night, expecting their usual get it out the door by Monday afternoon. It sat in pick.

Tuesday they got it out late and FedEx showed a delay beyond their control in Memphis. Took a good 12 hours to leave the airport.

Despite an extra day delay both at Mouser and FedEx, the package showed up on Thursday at lunchtime, which is actually only one day more than normal.

I expect Doc Brown got an extra job at FedEx :D
I have taken apart more gear than many people. But I have put less gear back together than most people. So there is still room for improvement.

Offline chrisn

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2024, 10:11:39 pm »
Yes, I've been experiencing similar delays, related to Delta fans.

An order for two 60mm DC fans was placed on 2/16 @ 8:30am, and it's still showing as "Unexpected Shipping Delay."

Tried calling them on three separate occasions, with the same answer: For whatever reason, the warehouse can't seem to pack the order. (Latest update is that the warehouse is short on pallets, apparently.)

Very disappointing, given Digikey's size and reputation. Sigh...

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2024, 12:37:53 am »
Guess it depends on what you order. I ordered 20 microcontrollers on 2/19 via cheapest USPS shipping. Shipped next day, arrived on 2/23.

The following users thanked this post: chrisn

Offline chrisn

« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2024, 01:14:52 pm »
Yes, I've been experiencing similar delays, related to Delta fans.

An order for two 60mm DC fans was placed on 2/16 @ 8:30am, and it's still showing as "Unexpected Shipping Delay."

Interestingly enough, my order was finally shipped last night.

Oh, for anyone interested: For the Delta fans I ordered, each had an import tariff charged. So presumably such items are fulfilled from a Customs-bonded warehouse? If so, perhaps that's coming into play, at least for some cases...?

Offline Dan N

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2024, 11:32:29 am »
My latest Digikey order shipped the same day but now I wish it had been delayed.

I ordered 13 items and when I checked the invoice saw 2 hadn't shipped.  I checked the order online and it didn't show those items as backordered.  One item was 50 0.1uF smd caps that that showed 3 million in stock.  They shipped those 2 items the day after the first shipment with another shipping charge.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2024, 08:48:47 pm »
Are you saying the ol' Digi-Key swooparoo happened?
Plenty of stock, you order the part- all looks good, then it seems a whale came in and bought all the parts AFTER you ordered and no soup for you.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf