Author Topic: Looking for a good and SAFE hot air gun  (Read 4767 times)

Offline tkamiyaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: Looking for a good and SAFE hot air gun
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2019, 01:31:48 am »
Thanks for the video.  Why is the woman on the first video SO casual about all this?  Fire is already starting when she looked at it and left the station.  Then she casually goes over to get his supervisor... 

I can think of several ways to detect if the handle was in hand or has fallen off, but I guess no manufacturer has done it.  I've looked at Hakko one.  Wow, they are expensive!  I wonder if Quick is as safe or safer than Hakko. 

Thanks everyone for opinions and information.  They all helped a lot. 

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2019, 01:44:25 am »
Thanks for the video.  Why is the woman on the first video SO casual about all this?  Fire is already starting when she looked at it and left the station. 
It's a male. He gone to circuit breaker to switch off electricity first.

Offline Hemi345

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2019, 01:50:57 am »
I really like my QUICK 857DW+  I don't know what the difference is between it and the 957DW+ other than the paint but it does a great job and is very quiet for how powerful the air flow is. The motor is in the cabinet instead of the hand piece.  I usually set it to about 300C and 1/2 way on the airflow knob to quickly remove or reflow components.  And it takes up very little space on my bench. :)

Where did you buy it?  Does it have a US warranty?  I have the impression it's a China only model.

I bought it new off Ebay for $79 from seller that had US stock.  No UL cert that I can find but it's a 110V model and came with a standard 5-15P plug wired in. BTW, I marked out the S/N and such just in Photoshop to protect it's identity  ;D
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 02:00:50 am by Hemi345 »

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2019, 01:51:15 am »
I wonder if Quick is as safe or safer than Hakko. 
All I know is that insides of Quick 861 look neater than FR-810B.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2019, 01:53:22 am »
I bought it new off Ebay for $79 from seller that had US stock.  No UL cert that I can find but it's a 115V model and came with a standard 5-15P plug wired in.
It's grey import.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 01:54:54 am by wraper »

Offline Samogon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2019, 08:35:59 am »
Thanks for the video.  Why is the woman on the first video SO casual about all this?  Fire is already starting when she looked at it and left the station. 
It's a male. He gone to circuit breaker to switch off electricity first.
And
Russians usually do not express emotions like many other nationalities. LoL

Offline frmdstryr

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2019, 01:56:26 pm »
No station will shut down if handle falls off the stand. How it should know if fell off or you took it to do the job?

Correct me if I'm wrong but according to an "unbiased review" on youtube, the Quick turns on automatically as soon it's taken out of the stand https://youtu.be/ChujyTV-HME?t=1325 but the Hakko requires a button to be pressed before it starts https://youtu.be/ChujyTV-HME?t=1510. That alone is a major safety feature, if the Hakko handle falls off it wont turn on automatically in the first place.

The youtube video in this thread https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/hakko-fr-810-how-loud-is-the-pump/50/ shows the build quality difference between the Hakko and Quick.

A "US" version Hakko FR-810B recently sold on eBay is clearly MET listed with the listing number on the label. Even the $15 heat guns from Harbor freight have an ETL certification on the label

Also thanks for the videos. Helps put into perspective how much power these things put out and also makes it an easy decision.

The Hakko, while more expensive, seems cheap compared to the other Weller/JBC stations (https://www.jbctools.com/jtse-hot-air-station-product-1261.html) I found. Definitely don't want to cheap out on something that could potentially start a fire and burn my house down while I'm out for lunch.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 02:00:27 pm by frmdstryr »

Offline OwO

• Super Contributor
  • RF Engineer.
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2019, 02:09:12 pm »
Maybe just switch off power to your soldering tools whenever you leave the station? I think it's a good idea anyway and will protect against e.g. mains surge shorting out the triac controlling the heater and leaving it on.

EDIT: also don't put too much faith in certifications. They don't mean shit other than a set of very primitive rules are followed in the design which means you won't be electrocuted. It doesn't mean a defect or mains overvoltage won't start a fire.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 02:11:44 pm by OwO »
Email: OwOwOwOwO123@outlook.com

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2019, 03:18:22 pm »
Just stop writing about that certification nonsense. Quick is sold at Newark and other reputable distributors. They won't sell equipment without required safety approvals. As I said, unless you buy grey import, it will have necessary safety mark.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf