Author Topic: Looking for a strangely common, but unavailable connector... anyone?  (Read 1228 times)

Offline EEVPiobeeTopic starter

• Contributor
Hello...

This looks like It shouldn't be hard to find, yet I have no clue where to get it, nor what's the name of these connectors.
 :-//
These are for 10ga wire and you find them on most inverter generators parallel kits. (Or at least 1 of the 2 models of parallel connectors used in north America)

They seem non-proprietary as many companies/ chinese manufacturers use them, but just can't find the part's name

Any help?? See attached pics.

Thanks 😊

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
Re: Looking for a strangely common, but unavailable connector... anyone?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2023, 06:12:30 am »
It looks like these are used on a lot of Honda generators, maybe they designed it to intentionally be different and then people copied it?

08E93 HPK123HI

EU1000i, EU2000i, EU2200i, EU3000i Handi, variants like the x200 too? 

None of the sellers I looked at gave any info.  Perhaps it's worth trying to ask a whole bunch of them "who is your OEM" and then ask the OEM?

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2023, 06:40:51 am »
IIRC my Honda generator has connections that are similar to shrouded banana plugs but with the tip of the plug also covered as with these but the outer shrouds are round. Is this for a generator? Can you find an inexpensive aftermarket cable? It's quite possible that nobody sells these exact connectors as they're probably molded onto the cable. You may be able to use standard banana plugs to make the connection but with obvious potential safety issues.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2023, 03:21:13 pm »
For what it’s worth, while I couldn’t find the plugs, I did find the sockets: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32965242974.html

Maybe the vendor can supply the plugs on request?

The following users thanked this post: Whales, EEVPiobee

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2023, 06:56:04 pm »
Interesting that the red ones are considerably more expensive than the black ones.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2023, 05:11:47 am »
Yess, I seen those, but it's actually the square ones that are pretty hard to find.
I've seen he square ones on Champion, Duromax and some Genmax brand (all chinese brands)

It does not seem that shape is directly related to amperage, but so far I mostly seen round ones with 12ga and 10ga, and square ones with only 10ga, no less.

So far the only way to source them is to buy a full inverter kit., which is wasteful and expensive  |O

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2023, 05:13:56 am »
Tooki

oh nice!

Quite on the expensive side, but I'll keep them on a wishlist

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2023, 05:21:08 am »
IIRC my Honda generator has connections that are similar to shrouded banana plugs but with the tip of the plug also covered as with these but the outer shrouds are round. Is this for a generator? Can you find an inexpensive aftermarket cable? It's quite possible that nobody sells these exact connectors as they're probably molded onto the cable. You may be able to use standard banana plugs to make the connection but with obvious potential safety issues.

Would love to find an inexpensive cable, but it does not seem such thig exists (I'd love to be proven worng)

the only ones I seen available come with a box

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095C7K9GX?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2023, 06:27:43 am »
Tooki

oh nice!

They're under $1.50 each, that doesn't seem very expensive for a connector, but you have to buy at least 50 of them, at least you do from that seller.

Offline py-bb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2023, 07:32:05 pm »
Hello...

This looks like It shouldn't be hard to find, yet I have no clue where to get it, nor what's the name of these connectors.
These are for 10ga wire and you find them on most inverter generators parallel kits. (Or at least 1 of the 2 models of parallel connectors used in north America)

They seem non-proprietary as many companies/ chinese manufacturers use them, but just can't find the part's name

Thanks 😊

That's a banana plug - I've got a multimeter that has the plastic cap and everything (but with a round shroud, yours is square-with-rounded-corners) - banana plugs will fit it. You can buy a pack of 20 for a few quid on ebay.

Edit: to clarify the actual plug itself is called a banana plug, the shroud being square is specific, as is the weird red cap on the end. I've got a multimeter probe that's just like this (caps and all) but it's literally a banana plug with a cap and a shroud.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 07:37:47 pm by py-bb »

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2023, 10:05:32 pm »
Tooki

oh nice!

They're under $1.50 each, that doesn't seem very expensive for a connector, but you have to buy at least 50 of them, at least you do from that seller.

Opps I must have been cross-eyed... did not see it was for a lot  :palm:

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2023, 10:15:10 pm »
Hello...

Thanks 😊

That's a banana plug - I've got a multimeter that has the plastic cap and everything (but with a round shroud, yours is square-with-rounded-corners) - banana plugs will fit it. You can buy a pack of 20 for a few quid on ebay.

Edit: to clarify the actual plug itself is called a banana plug, the shroud being square is specific, as is the weird red cap on the end. I've got a multimeter probe that's just like this (caps and all) but it's literally a banana plug with a cap and a shroud.

Well, yes, I seen those as "safety banana plug" with the round type and I know it "would work" just using regular non insulated banana plugs, but it would be unsafe for my application.

I.e. If the plug were to disconnect, there would still be live a/c current on the wire and therefore it needs both to be insulated and fit the oem connectors.

Offline py-bb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2023, 04:05:18 am »
Hello...

Thanks 😊

Well, yes, I seen those as "safety banana plug" with the round type and I know it "would work" just using regular non insulated banana plugs, but it would be unsafe for my application.

I.e. If the plug were to disconnect, there would still be live a/c current on the wire and therefore it needs both to be insulated and fit the oem connectors.

I added "shroud" to a search on ebay there's loads there.

But either way you've found it. It's a variant it doesn't change what it is!

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2023, 07:01:52 am »
As an interim solution, I see two possibilities:
1. Use banana plugs with spring-loaded retractable sheaths. Examples of these, in no particular order:
Pomona 122505A
Electro PJP 1061-S
Mueller Electric BU-3261410
Stäubli X-GL-438, XZGL-410 and XZGL-425

2. Perform a reversible conversion from the square sheathed banana jacks to round sheathed banana jacks. There exist adapters to convert unsheathed banana jacks to safety banana jacks. They are basically a safety banana jack with a special knurled, forked banana plug, which use a set screw to spread the knurled plug so that it cannot be pulled out.
Example: Stäubli A-SLK4 series. The A-SLK4-S would even retain compatibility with the square-sheathed banana plugs.

Of these two approaches, I prefer the second one as it is safer, since you can use standard, fixed-sheath safety banana plugs. With the retractable ones, there’s still a risk of contact, even if it is vastly reduced compared to unsheathed plugs.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 07:03:35 am by tooki »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf