Author Topic: Looking for someone who can replace/swap Tek TDS694C trigger chips for $  (Read 15478 times)

Offline Armadillo

• Super Contributor
Will you consider his application of flux to be TOO excessive?

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
I use a gullwing tip to clean pads. If it needs to be cleaner than that and the risk is not high I use wick or a desolder gun. It is just a matter of experience and practice. (a steady hand and fine mechanics skills and good tools help a lot) 
And you must have confidence in your own skills.

I also do pcb repairs, still rather simple cases to practice my skills. This is my most recent one:  http://schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl/?p=481 Not the most difficult one but for sure the most complex one. (pcb repair as in replacing pads, vias and (inner)traces ) I do not think there is a market for it but I really love doing it.
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Offline Dtec

• Contributor
OMG The way he swipes the pads with solder-wick is asking for trouble. It is very easy to ruin a PCB that way :palm: I usually try not to remove the old solder to reduce the risk of swiping the pads off with solder-wick. And then the way he puts the chip back again by heating the chip and not the board :palm:
Well I have not seen him tear one off yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Dtec

• Contributor
It works well for him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
By the way, did the scope worked?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 06:39:11 am by ebclr »

Offline amb101

probably still in the mail. I'm sure we will hear when it all happens.....

Offline Harb

• Regular Contributor

Its actually a good idea.......it helps avoid bridges and it tends to soak up the heat from surrounding components........it cheap enough and easy to clean, so why not pile it on.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Too much flux will be if it is in a pile on the floor, after dripping off the bench.

I have some small 10ml bottles with a dropper insert, that are perfect to dispense flux, and have a good number of them filled for use, just remove the lid, put on a drop where needed and put the bottle down. With the tiny dropper insert it is slow to evaporate the alcohol solvent in the bottle, but it goes fast on the board. When doing SMD work a drop before application of the iron to the component is fine, and same for every rework.

Offline JwallingTopic starter

• Supporter
  • This is work?

Currently the board is in the mail. I'll be testing it this coming week.
Jay

System error. Strike any user to continue.

• Supporter
  • This is work?

Just arrived in the mail. I was going to wait till tomorrow to test it, but curiosity got the best of me in about 12.3 minutes.
The results is a SUCCESS!! Louis, you are da' man!  :-+ :-+ :-+  Nice work.
Scope triggers great all the way up to 3GHz on all 4 channels!
Thanks for all your help!

Jay
Jay

Offline rustybronco

• Contributor
Glad to hear that!

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
 :-+

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
For increased life do yourself a favour and put some extra heatsinks on the trigger chips.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Armadillo

• Super Contributor
Any flux residue? LOL;

:-+ Great job.

• Supporter
  • This is work?
Any flux residue? LOL;

:-+ Great job.

Actually, there is. I hope it's no-clean! :)
Jay

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
For increased life do yourself a favour and put some extra heatsinks on the trigger chips.

They actually don't get that hot under normal conditions.  If you pull the cover off the scope after it's reached operating temperature and take an IR snapshot before the board cools off, you will (or, rather, should) find that they're running under 50C-60C. 

The two great mysteries with these chips are why they fail in the first place, and why Tektronix seemingly included two extra ones on the board for no apparent reason.

• Supporter
  • This is work?
The two great mysteries with these chips are why they fail in the first place,

Usually catastrophically, IME. POOF! :-BROKE

and why Tektronix seemingly included two extra ones on the board for no apparent reason.

Indeed. And they're not just sitting there unconnected to anything either. They're connected to the GaAs MMIC switch chips and other circuitry as well. Weird... Would love to discuss this with the guy who designed the scope.
Fun fact: The engineering code name for the TDS694C scope was "SCREAMER". I had one come through my hands a few years ago that had the word "SCREAMER" where the serial # should have been.

PS: John, thanks for your assistance and encouragement off-line in all of this.  :-+
Jay
Jay

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Perhaps there is some situation where all of the trigger chips are used, something that doesn't come into play in most normal use. Maybe it's only in certain models of the scopes that used that acquisition board? Maybe it was a feature they planned to use but never did? These are complex enough instruments that it's hard to say whether the performance is degraded in some way by a faulty IC even if it exhibits no apparent problems.

• Supporter
  • This is work?
Re: Looking for someone who can replace/swap Tek TDS694C trigger chips for $
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2017, 11:10:24 am »

Just arrived in the mail. I was going to wait till tomorrow to test it, but curiosity got the best of me in about 12.3 minutes.
The results is a SUCCESS!! Louis, you are da' man!  :-+ :-+ :-+  Nice work.
Scope triggers great all the way up to 3GHz on all 4 channels!
Thanks for all your help!

Jay

Looks like I have another job for Louis. This time it's an Agilent 1GHz DSO8104A with a blown pre-amp chip on CH1. The chip is all ceramic and has a large GND pad underneath the chip. I'll start another thread for this one in a bit.
Jay

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf