Author Topic: Mainboard Suicide after Sleep  (Read 11826 times)

Offline dicky96

• Regular Contributor
    • Learn Electronics Repair
Re: Mainboard Suicide after Sleep
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2020, 06:05:24 pm »

Hi Dicky,

i'm not sure if i'm getting your question right, but the FETs at the Phase-Inductors are completely identified in the Boardview file... You've mentioned
"K03J4 3G2 62D1" and "K03J5 3C5 60G1". That fits the Boardview Information quiet well:

-  N-MOSFET RJK03J4DPA    WPAK(3) RENESAS/30V/4.6MOHM
-  N-MOSFET RJK03J5DPA    WPAK(3) RENESAS/30V/7.2MOHM
Damn I should have thought to look there lol.  Now I can find them on Aliexpress

I've already ordered some of the  ISL6625ACRZ as I think that is what is playing up here.   I may as well get a few FETs as I can get a pack of 5 for less that 3 euros and it's good to keep parts in stock.

Cheers
Follow me on Youtube

Offline TonyBeTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2020, 03:06:28 pm »
Nice :) Happy to was able to help you.

I got some good news today. I managed to get my reworkstation back to life, changed the DCDC Chip that I discovered to be faulty.

And well: the MB stays on when powering on. Since i've no CPU to test with, i'm not 100% sure if everthing is working. But I think the chances are good, since this was the only issue.

Yet again: thank you all!

Dicky: i'll stay tuned for your issue. :)

Regards
Tony

Offline koincidencia

« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2021, 03:46:44 pm »
Hello everyone,

I have an Asrock Z87M Extreme4 MB. We had a power outage and after that, the PC was not able to turn on, it was continuously resetting in a similar way as TonyBe described. It was confusing, because without memory, if I left the system with an unplugged power supply for 2+ minutes, then after the first power-up I got 3 long beeps (indicating missing RAM), but if I have reset the system it was going back to this reset loop.

Based on this forum thread I could identify that the same DCDC converter IC is bad. I have fed 1.05V to the south-bridge rail and I was able to get into the BIOS. I am waiting for RT8065ZQW chips, hopefully replacing them will fix my issue as well.

I am just writing this message to thank all of you for writing about your experience and debugging, which helped me a lot!

Offline wlundall

Z97 Extreep4 NCT6776D
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2021, 01:01:00 am »
Re NCT6776D :
Hey Guys.. Is it any way possible to replace this chip.. i have a ASAROCK z97 extrem 4 and seems like my chip died. can see it is burnt

Could i simply buy  a chip and re  Z9solder it any help would be appreciated

Keep Well be safe
Thanks To any one who reeds this

Offline LateLesley

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Z97 Extreep4 NCT6776D
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2021, 02:39:19 am »
Re NCT6776D :
Hey Guys.. Is it any way possible to replace this chip.. i have a ASAROCK z97 extrem 4 and seems like my chip died. can see it is burnt

Could i simply buy  a chip and re  Z9solder it any help would be appreciated

Keep Well be safe
Thanks To any one who reeds this

With the right tools, yes. But there may be more you'd have to do. The chips don't burn up for no reason, so before you replace the chip, you should get the datasheet, take off the old chip, then test all the powerlines first. It's probably not blown for no reason, so it's important you check out what caused it to pop.

That chip is what they call the Super IO chip, it does your keyboard interface, voltage monitoring, fan control etc. It's a multi-function chip.

https://www.nuvoton.com/products/cloud-computing/i-o/super-i-o-series/nct6776d/

To replace it, you'll probably need a hot air station, and soldering iron, and some decent flux. If you are in a pinch though, I have seen chips removed using a GU10 50W light bulb.
It's a hacky way to do it, but can be used if you are REALLY stuck. Hot air station is the best way.

You'll also need a multimeter with decent probes, so you can test the powerlines with the chip off the board. Which may take some doing, as I think it needs that chip to power some stuff on. :-) You might be jumpering things out to test them.

But do try and figure out what caused it to burn up. Look for shorted caps, or regulators (LDOs) that have failed. Because if you don't find what popped it in the first place, it may just burn up a new chip.

I wish you luck in your repair adventures. :-)

« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 02:45:12 am by LateLesley »

Offline barb

« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2022, 09:35:35 am »
Hi :)

Looking at  that diagram it seems to me that OTE_GATE1 going high would ground the gate of QT19A causing VCORE_EN to go to whatever is the voltage on the junction of the 100K/12K resistors - which quick mental arithmatic says is gonna be near to 1.2V

OTP_GATE1 going low would connect VCORE_EN to whatever voltage is on OTP_EN, basically.  As QT19A is effectively in parallel with the 1.2K resistor that voltage is going to be something less that 1.2V

If i remember correctly from this morning VCORE_EN was indeed switching between about  1.2V and 0V.  But all the other pins of QT19 were static as I posted earlier

Yes, that fit's my opinion about the circuit quiet well. The only thing i would add is that OTP_EN is more likely another "Flag" to controll VCORE. It's like a weird "AND" circuit for turnung off VCORE_EN since both, OTE and OTP needs to have a specific state to make VCORE_EN=LOW.

Anyway: I have good news about my MB.. :)
Instead of buying a CPU, i've just figured out, how the CPU_OCCUPIED signal is put together by the MB and add a single Jumper to let the SIO believe in the presence of a CPU.  ^.^
I then connected the PSU, pushed the Powerbutton and yes, indeed: the MB cycles through PSU on/off sequence as before.
Reason for that quick fix was a new assumption that i was burning for to check. With the boardview files in hand, i found the datasheet for the DC/DC regulator (RT8065ZQW) which was connected to the inductor i've desoldered (mentioned earlier, see pictures). As described above, feeding the 1.05V externally has not made a change for me back then. But since i'ce never had a datasheet for the regulator, i couldn't check for any powergood signals or similar.
Well indeed: with my Lab PowerSupply turned to 1.05V, the PowerGood of the RT8065ZQW gives out 0V. I litterally turned the Lab Supply a tiny tiny bit higher to 1.08V to get this Signal coming up to 3.3V.

Reconnecting everthing together, pushing the Powerbutton and there we go... a constantly spinning PSU Fan and healthy SLP# Signals.  :scared:

Now i'm really heading for a new CPU to try this puppy...
Still don't know what really causes this 1.05V Rail to getting loaded to that heavy ripple. Could be the DC/DC Regulator, or a faulty Cap... don't know. The current consumption really jumps up and down quiet heavily.

Regards

EDIT: just found out, that i can sample this part.. so i'll do this and then replace it. :) Let's see if this works.

I made an account just to reply to this message: I have an Asrock b75m DGS r2 that power cycled just like yours. I stabbed the feedback, P_GOOD and output pins of the 1.05V regulator with the scope  :-BROKE: output comes on briefly at about 1.04V, but P_GOOD is latched to GND! I was able to desolder the inductor, thus severing the connection between the regulator and PCH, then I used a small buck converter set to 1.1V, wired it up to 3.3V and connected the output where the inductor would have been and guess what? The board posted JUST FINE!!!
I then found a suitable 3.3VSB pad conveniently located near the VRM and wired it to my external regulator, this way I was able to re-gain sleep functionality as well.
Mad props to you for figuring this out, I'll look further into tidier repair options, but with the board working fine ATM I'm not too inclined in risking it. It's an old board anyway and I just want to squeeze 1-2 years out of it :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf