Author Topic: Metcal MX500P (non legacy)  (Read 913 times)

Offline Gibson486Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Metcal MX500P (non legacy)
« on: December 28, 2020, 08:46:57 pm »
Maybe this is not the right forum?

I bought a Metcal MX500P to replace my PS900. I finally got around to plugging it in today and it gives me an error that says GND Fault. I looked it up and it looks like maybe my outlet may not be grounded correctly. This particular unit says, in the manual, that if your outlet is not grounded, it will just shutdown (that was not the case with the PS900). Seeing as how I live in a 120 year old house, I would not really be surprised that the previous owners put a grounded outlet in a non grounded line (that would actually not be the worst thing they did in this house, but those stories are for another day). Before I go crazy and attempts to replace the line (that is gonna be a pain in the a**!), do you think it would be feasible to replace the outlet with a GFCI outlet? Or would that not fix the issue?  I tried this on an outlet that I actually installed myself, and the unit itself does work, so I  am sure at this point that it is indeed the outlet.

Offline BurningTantalum

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Metcal MX500P (non legacy)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 02:47:33 am »
What is a 'non-legacy' MX500P?
As far as I know the MX500P does not have any kind of display, and the mains feeds directly into a transformer (via a couple of chokes and X & Y caps.
BT

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 04:41:29 pm »
Maybe this is not the right forum?

I bought a Metcal MX500P to replace my PS900. I finally got around to plugging it in today and it gives me an error that says GND Fault. I looked it up and it looks like maybe my outlet may not be grounded correctly. This particular unit says, in the manual, that if your outlet is not grounded, it will just shutdown (that was not the case with the PS900). Seeing as how I live in a 120 year old house, I would not really be surprised that the previous owners put a grounded outlet in a non grounded line (that would actually not be the worst thing they did in this house, but those stories are for another day). Before I go crazy and attempts to replace the line (that is gonna be a pain in the a**!), do you think it would be feasible to replace the outlet with a GFCI outlet? Or would that not fix the issue?  I tried this on an outlet that I actually installed myself, and the unit itself does work, so I  am sure at this point that it is indeed the outlet.
A GFCI wouldn’t fix the issue because it doesn’t create a ground. It simply provides much-needed safety on an ungrounded circuit.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 03:45:14 pm »
Post deleted
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 04:02:25 pm by Gibson486 »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2021, 03:46:21 pm »
What is a 'non-legacy' MX500P?
As far as I know the MX500P does not have any kind of display, and the mains feeds directly into a transformer (via a couple of chokes and X & Y caps.
BT

http://www.okinternational.com/hand-soldering-systems/id-MX-500P/MX-500P_Power_Supply

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf