Author Topic: Micro Hard Radio Repair  (Read 623 times)

Offline SullyTopic starter

Micro Hard Radio Repair
« on: January 25, 2020, 09:16:59 am »
Hello all!

I am attempting to salvage this radio board.  The board's antenna coax was dragged across the positive terminal of a 12v battery during installation in a pelican case.  The technician describe a pop sound, then promptly ordered a new board.  I'd like to fix it - this is my first attempt at SMD work.  This is a pic of the damaged area.  The trace does not appear to be burned, so I'd like to R2 the parts but don't their values.  Research I've done (Google and YouTube) indicate it may be a common .1uF capacitor but wanted to run it by the famed EEEVblog group for analysis.  The second image is a pic I pulled from Micro Hard's site (http://www.microhardcorp.com/pX2-dev-kit.php).

Regards,
Sully
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 09:26:27 am by Sully »

Offline SMdude

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Micro Hard Radio Repair
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 10:02:09 am »
I would say that it is a ferrite bead for the power input to the device. This is there for EMC compliance purposes, you could most likely replace it with a 0 ohm resistor(or bridge it) and the unit will work assuming nothing else was damaged.
Measure the resistance of the part next to it to confirm. It will most likely look like a dead short, it is probably 0.1 ohms or something like that. Those 2 parts are the same. If it doesn't read really low resistance, then disregard the advice above!

You should also be able to trace that those parts connect to the pins in the power plug.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf